Donner Music UK
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,213
  • Total Topics: 1,652
  • Online today: 57
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 51
  • Total: 51
  • Google
Gear4Music

Sustain ?

Started by Mick, December 29, 2013, 06:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

So we all know there's an on going debate as to whether the wood a guitar is built from really affects the tone of the guitar.  But what about Sustain, where does that come from?

The wood (again) ?
The way the neck and body are joined?
The Pickups / electronics?
The Strings? (as in type / make of)

What's your theory on this.
Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Scarebear

I believe the neck/body relationship counts and also the bridge type. I'm a big fan of string through body guitars.
guitarfascination.com — my new home for all the articles, videos, and music I discover and create.

Connor Baxter

I would say there's just too many things that affect it, the things I've heard that increase sustain is hilarious!

I would imagine the body and neck joint being very important, due to the strings being anchored to "the guitar"

Then i would say that the bridge would make a huge difference, you always hear about how guys upgrade their strat saddles and trem blocks to stell as it resonates better than that die cast crap and zinc blocks.

3rd i would say that the strings themselves would account for it too.

Rotosound's for the win! ;)

aldridgeg

I have upgraded my Strat term block and saddles to steel (Callaham) and can confirm it's made a considerable difference.

Happy days!

Sleeping Dog FX

I'd say that the materials used affect the amount a guitars going to sustain. I use a few Aluminium guitars which sustain like crazy. The bridge, Neck/body relationship will also all affect the sustain.
Cause and FX

Scarebear

Quote from: Sleeping Dog FX on January 06, 2014, 12:36:27 AM
... I use a few Aluminium guitars which sustain like crazy. ...

I've wanted to try an aluminium guitar for so long. They look amazing. I've wondered how different the sustain was on one of those.
guitarfascination.com — my new home for all the articles, videos, and music I discover and create.

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com