Some of you may recall that I have a broken Prophesy, and I was having no luck trying to find a replacement for the broken push/pull pot. In the end I went to Gibson's support page and sent them an email, asking simply where I might be able to get a new pot. I had a holding reply a day later asking for some time to answer the question. That was bout two weeks ago. What with being busy and having no DSL for most of the intervening time due to our land line having snapped somewhere between us and the local router, I hadn't given it any further thought.
Yesterday evening, however, still without hearing any more from Gibson's support team, I got an email from DHL telling me that Gibson were sending me a parcel - I'm hoping that it is a new pot - I'll keep you posted