Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,173
  • Total Topics: 1,635
  • Online today: 303
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 73
  • Total: 74
  • Mick
samash.com

Pinch Harmonics

Started by Mick, February 06, 2016, 07:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

Just in case you're wondering how those guitarists get that unique harmonic sound, sometimes called Pinch Harmonics, or Squealies.

Have fun.   ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I5O8P-r5Rk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9KayxB91yU
Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Hinfrance

I know 'how' to do it - it's just I can't!

Mick

Quote from: Hinfrance on February 07, 2016, 12:38:52 PM
I know 'how' to do it - it's just I can't!

Howard, likewise.  I've managed it a few times, but only by accident lol..  I think my thumb is the wrong shape.  :D  These guys make it look so easy.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Hinfrance

Practice makes perfect. Probably.

Mick

Quote from: Hinfrance on February 07, 2016, 01:50:47 PM
Practice makes perfect. Probably.

You're probably right Howard.  But do you ever get the feeling you're never going to get the hang of something. (That's where I'm at) atm.  ;)

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Hinfrance

Well, sometimes. But I know it's not true. It's like when I first got some contact lenses - I thought it was never going to be possible to put them in.

I'm sure that perseverance will pay off - after all, people who can do it make it look so easy. It'll come. Then you'll do it all the time for a few months and then move on to another technique.

AtrumKithara

I tried and failed for years. A friend of mine tried to show me on my cheap first guitar and said he couldn't do it because there was not enough gain, he was only using an overdrive pedal. Now I have lots of guitars. I find that some are super easy to get the pinch harmonic, it is just finding the right spot to get the right pitch. Still can't get them from that original guitar, regardless of the distortion and I have various degrees of luck on other guitars.

I think a big part of it is the pickups and maybe the guitars ability to produce the higher harmonics. Maybe something to experiment with next time I change pickups. I built a guitar with an alder body, maple cap and neck, Pau ferro fingerboard, and put Bill Lawrence lx500 pickups in it. It squeals like a pig when I want it to.
www.atrumarte.com  - Unique instruments for unique musicians.

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com