Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,173
  • Total Topics: 1,635
  • Online today: 303
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 87
  • Total: 88
  • Mick
Guitar Center

What bass strings?

Started by Mick, September 19, 2012, 06:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

A couple of questions.  What are the best srings to use on a four string electric bass?  And how often should you change them?
Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

paulnoise

I use Ernie ball super slinkys and change them every 6 month's or so.  To be honest, try different strings and see what you like. I cannot play with flat wound strings or other fancy blends as for gauge that's more to do with preference
I use the ernies on my guitar too any my reason for picking them is I can never remember what strings I want and these come in a neon pink packet so easy to spot in the shop. 

sent on the move using tapatalk

Hinfrance

I can't abide flat wound strings either. But it's got to be a matter of taste.

I use Rotosound Swing Bass 45-105s or Elite* roundwounds (same gauge), with double ball ends for the Hohner Jazz bass. This is because I want to have a really bright but deep sound. In years of gigging a few times a week I can honestly say that I only ever changed a set of strings after either one of them broke or if the sound became dull - both of which events were rare. I might change them if I was doing some recording, but generally it was not necessary. I haven't played in anger for 10 years now and still have the same sets of strings on both basses that I had when I was last on stage. They still sound and look bright - but I do give them a good rub down with a decent duster or lint free cloth at the end of every playing session and South West France is mostly warm and dry :)

Six string guitars, on the other hand . . . many changes of strings, and at least once every six months. They just don't last. I've never really settled on a brand for them, just the gauge - 09s.

*Looks like your hero Norman Watt-Roy uses Elites ;)

Mick

Thanks for the feedback on this, I've seen many people recommend the Ernie ball slinkys, and they were also recommended for the very cheap six string Strat copy that I have too. 

Although they actually recommended the Cobalt one's for that guitar, due to it's cheap underpowered pickups I guess. http://www.ernieball.com/products/electric-strings/4974/cobalt-super-slinky
Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com