Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,172
  • Total Topics: 1,635
  • Online today: 132
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 98
  • Total: 98
Gear4Music

Bass amp advice please

Started by Mick, September 14, 2012, 08:05:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

I might have mentioned before that my 14 yr old son wants to get a Bass guitar, and will be practising with his friends in the shed next door.

What would be the minimum power output required for such?  There will be a drum kit in there too, and obviously needs to be heard over it.  (Drum kit won't be miked up).   I don't want to go over the top power wise, as they get more expensive, and the funds are coming out of my pocket. lol..

Any advice and recommendations would be appreciated.
Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

JayMan

Our bass player uses a peavey.  It's quite huge but wasn't too expensive and plays great.

I'll find out the exact output for you.

paulnoise

I recommend Marshall mb30. Surprisinglying loud with little to no distortion.

sent on the move using tapatalk

Mick

Quote from: paulnoise on April 17, 2013, 12:15:40 PM
I recommend Marshall mb30. Surprisinglying loud with little to no distortion.

Thanks for the reply.  I actually got hold of a very old but very loud and solid SWR Workingmans 12 combo, about 120w I believe.  It's really heavy though.  If he takes to the bass I'll consider a lighter combo for taking round his mates for practice sessions.  Either that or buy him a wheel barrow. lol..  :D

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

paulnoise

They're a good amp, proper work horses, good buy :-)

Mick

Well thought I'd come back to this very old topic. Needless to say my Son didn't really pursue his music career lol.  So the bass and amp have been sitting around for a while now.  Looks like I might have to pick it up and use it myself.   ;)

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

shannonrichards

For practicing with a band in a shed, aim for around 100 watts of power for the bass amp to be heard clearly over the drums without being excessive. Consider options like the Fender Rumble 100, Ampeg BA-112, or Hartke HD150 for a good balance of power and affordability. Also, check for used amps to save money without compromising quality.

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com