Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,173
  • Total Topics: 1,635
  • Online today: 303
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 78
  • Total: 78
Gear4Music

Gibson Quick Connect boards

Started by Amptech, May 17, 2015, 09:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shredderpete

Is the volume drop happening in regular 'in phase' mode as well as out-of-phase? There will always be a very noticeable drop when out-of-phase because what's essentially happening is that the two coils are cancelling out their 'sames' and you're only hearing the sum of their 'differences.' Depending on the pickups there might not be a lot left after putting them out of phase. The Whole Lotta Humbucker set is particularly out-of-phase-phriendly.

Amptech

OK, I went over the guitar and detailed every function..  It's going to sound crazy, but everything works,. but the out of phase switch operates backwards..  I have no volume drop when it's in phase, but I have to pull the switch UP to get everything IN phase, not out of phase..  I could probably live with it like this, but it will irritate me no end.  I'd like find out why it's happening and FIX it..  Any suggestions? 

Shredderpete

Quote from: Amptech on May 25, 2015, 10:36:53 PM
OK, I went over the guitar and detailed every function..  It's going to sound crazy, but everything works,. but the out of phase switch operates backwards..  I have no volume drop when it's in phase, but I have to pull the switch UP to get everything IN phase, not out of phase..  I could probably live with it like this, but it will irritate me no end.  I'd like find out why it's happening and FIX it..  Any suggestions?

Swap the hot and ground connections and you should be good, otherwise it's probably the magnet orientation. Is the magnet flipped or regular at the moment?

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/faq/frequently-asked/installation-an/how_can_i_corre/

Amptech

Both pickups are wired as you had laid out in the prior post, but I did flip the bridge pickup magnet to match what would have been in there with the burstbucker pro..  Which pos and neg to I swap?  Both pickups?

Shredderpete

Quote from: Amptech on May 25, 2015, 11:52:50 PM
Both pickups are wired as you had laid out in the prior post, but I did flip the bridge pickup magnet to match what would have been in there with the burstbucker pro..  Which pos and neg to I swap?  Both pickups?

Ok, in that case just swap the hot and ground of the bridge pickup and hopefully you should be good.

Amptech

ok, so switch the SD green and black wires?

Shredderpete

Quote from: Amptech on May 26, 2015, 12:37:16 AM
ok, so switch the SD green and black wires?

The black and bare.

Amptech

I just changed the clack and green, and I think it worked

Amptech

I wonder If the bare and ground on the pickup are connected somewhere on the Gibson board??

Amptech

Well, all of that was an epic failure..  I changed the wires back, then swapped the bare and black, and the phase switch worked properly, but on the IN phase mode the middle position the volume dropped dramatically..  I the took the pickup out, took off the cover, lifted the bobbins, flipped the magnet AGAIN, and then returned the wiring to bare bare/ black red, which is kinda where I started from.  The only thing I DID see weird, is that the red wire on the Gibson connector  was pulled out of the molex connector enough for me to notice.  I pushed it back in, and I think I may be ok, but on the out of phase mode, it does lose wuite a bit of volume..  Once I have a real amp to try it out with, I will report more..Thank you  again to all of you for your help...

Shredderpete

An extreme volume drop is natural with out-of-phase pickups, as explained above. Some pickup model combinations are louder than others when out of phase.

Amptech

Well, I bought a pair of Whole Lotta Humbucker for my first 2012 desert burst LP.  They should sound amazing..

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com