Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,172
  • Total Topics: 1,635
  • Online today: 174
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 170
  • Total: 170
Gear4Music

Gibson Quick Connect boards

Started by Amptech, May 17, 2015, 09:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amptech

Ok, I do love my Les Paul, but this quick connect board is driving me NUTS.. I'm trying to replace the burst bucker pro's with Seymour Duncan's, and the wiring has me a bit confused.  The neck pickup seems fairly simple, this is how I have it wired

Gibson     to      Duncan

bare                 bare
black                green
red                   black
green               red
white                white

I think this is correct, although looking back I may want to reverse the green and black Duncan wires.
As for the bridge pickup, I have it wired like this..

Gibson    to     Duncan

bare               bare
green             black
white             green
black              white
red                red

can anyone tell me if this sounds correct..  ??

Mick

Not fitted any Seymour Duncan's myself, but there's a handy conversion chart here which might help. http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=color_codes

Apologies if you've already seen it.
Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Amptech

Thank you Mick, that is the exact page I used to wire my pickups, but I think we need a schematic of the board in order to do it right, I wonder if Gibson will give it  up??

Mick

Quote from: Amptech on May 17, 2015, 10:54:32 PM
Thank you Mick, that is the exact page I used to wire my pickups, but I think we need a schematic of the board in order to do it right, I wonder if Gibson will give it  up??

Anything here that might help. http://www.gibson.com/service/tech/schematics/

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Amptech

unfortunately it's only for the old style les pauls, not the circuit board models >:(

Mick

Quote from: Amptech on May 17, 2015, 10:54:32 PM

but I think we need a schematic of the board in order to do it right, I wonder if Gibson will give it  up??

Whilst looking around for info, it seems a lot of people remove the boards and install a wiring kit and new pots when they do a pickup swap.  Keeping the old board and pickups to put back in should they need to at a later date.  Doesn't seem like Gibson want you to change their pickups.

I'.ve not found a good schematic so far.  If I do I'll post it up.  ;)

I'm sure Shaun from guitar sauce can help you with a wiring kit, should you want to go down that route. He might even have the answer to your question above.  Twitter @Guitar_Sauce  https://guitarsauce.com.au/

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Scarebear

I would reach out to the awesome social media team from Seymour Duncan (Facebook or Twitter). They're pretty helpful I've found. Once you've got it working, send them a photo of your finished project. Everybody wins.
scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

Amptech

Well, I emailed SD to see if they could give me some direction to which wire colors on the SDpickup go to which wire colors on the Gibson pigtail, and all they did was send me the color code chart..  So, I am assuming they're clueless...  Damn shame, love the pickups, but I may have to go back to the originals if I can't make these things work.. >:(

Shredderpete

Hey! Peter from SD here.

If it's not too late for this option, I've known of a few people who have put quick connectors on the SD pickups and plugged them right in and had everything work just fine with the Gibson board. With the help of the color conversion charts you can get the Molex connections from Mouser to modify the SD pickups to slot right into the quick-connect terminals. Here's what you need:

First crimp the wire ends into these terminals:
http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/50079-8100/?qs=dvxwXVM4mZUcXazwT3Ylc845CyHfHjVogJsvYHV7O7k%3d

Then snap the terminals into these connectors:

http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/51021-0500/?qs=TEDqGy%252b%2f3mHiLA1ZOQIlOzTg%252blB3f%252b1hCUv5G60ZzHc%3d

I'd advise to get a few extra terminals and connectors (they're pretty cheap) just in case, because they're quite fiddly.

There's a pic on the MyLesPaul forums (I'm not sure if posting a link to another forum is allowed here so I'm not gonna risk it just in case) which shows a relatively good close-up of where the Gibson connectors go, so you just need to wire the SD wires in the order that corresponds. If you Google "gibson quick connect" the pic from that thread should show up in the first few results.

So as you've seen from the color conversion chart that someone else at SD sent you, it goes:

SD Black to Gibson Red
SD White to Gibson White
SD Red to Gibson Green
SD Green to Gibson Black
SD Bare to Gibson Bare

So with the connector plugged in, it should go from bottom to top:

GIBSON BRIDGE (with flipped magnet)
Bare
Green
White
Black
Red

SEYMOUR DUNCAN BRIDGE (with flipped magnet)
Bare
Red
White
Green
Black

GIBSON NECK
Bare
Black
Red
Green
White

SEYMOUR DUNCAN NECK
Bare
Green
Black
Red
White

Hope that helps. If anything doesn't work as it should, you should be able to just swap around the terminals inside the connectors. I'm not 100% sure with this circuit but you might be able to get around the need to flip the magnet of the bridge pickup by reversing the order of the SD green and black wires so it would be (bottom to top):

SEYMOUR DUNCAN BRIDGE
Bare
Red
White
Black
Green

Mick

Quote from: Shredderpete on May 23, 2015, 09:51:12 AM

There's a pic on the MyLesPaul forums (I'm not sure if posting a link to another forum is allowed here so I'm not gonna risk it just in case) which shows a relatively good close-up of where the Gibson connectors go, so you just need to wire the SD wires in the order that corresponds. If you Google "gibson quick connect" the pic from that thread should show up in the first few results.

Hi Peter, and welcome to GG.  Thanks for coming over and supplying that info, I'm sure Bill aka Amptech will find it useful, as will others who see your post.  :tup:

Links to other sites are not a problem, post away.  I'm a member over at the MyLesPaul forums myself actually.  ;)

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Amptech

HI Pete, wonderful to see you here..  I thank you so much for all that into, I have saved it on my computer for future reference.  The only think I am having a problem with is, I am using Gibson pigtails, not making the connectors from scratch..  SO I have the standard color coding as follows.. 

neck pickup

Duncan  to  Gibson
bare           bare
green         black
black          red
red             green
white          white

bridge pickup is now wired like this

Duncan      to    Gibson

black                 white
green                green
red                    red
white                black
bare                 bare

please tell me if this sounds correct, and how will I know if I have to surgically flip the magnet?
Again THANK YOU for all your knowledge and help, it's so very much appreciated..

Amptech

Ok, I think I have something here..  I misread my own writing on the way I had it wired, I think I'm on to something now.. I'll keep everyone posted..

Scarebear

Very awesome. I'm looking forward to hearing how you go. I'm sure you'll get there and that the guitar will sound amazing. I say that because I love all my Seymour Duncan pickups.

You're a braver person than me though. I come from the Rob Scallon school of pickup installation ;)

scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

Amptech

Ok here goes..  First let me start by saying I am still frustrated.  The guitar sounds like ass, and it is making me crazy..  I have the neck pickup wired as in my first post, all good..  the bridge pickup I wired up like ShredderPete had setup, which is the way I originally had it.  I did reverse the black and green wires, going black to black and green to red.  The guitar sounded equally bad either way, and I was tired of frustrating myself.  Now the situation is as follows; front pickup is seemingly ok, and splits the coils with the volume knob switch, bridge pickup is the same.  Loss of power when in the middle position, and it's automatically out of phase UNTIL you pull out the neck tone control switch, then is stops being out of phase.. It's kinda like it's backwards..  I think I have to take out the pickup, de-solder the cover, lift the bobbin, and flip the magnet...  any comments, concerns, or emotional outbursts? 

Amptech

OK, now I took the bridge pickup out, flipped the magnet, and put the SD wires back to black  red, and green black..  Everything on the guitar now works, but still sounds like ass...  Splitting is working, blow switch is working, out of phase is working, but there is still a decent drop in volume when the pickups are put in the middle position...  In somewhat of a defense of the guitar, it's being tested thru a Peavey Decade amplifier..  I can almost feel the next bout of anxiety coming over me.. >:(

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com