Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 327
  • Latest: Sucih
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,164
  • Total Topics: 1,631
  • Online today: 34
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 30
  • Total: 30
Gear4Music

Prophecy GX Pickup question

Started by Mick, May 09, 2015, 06:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

This question is aimed at Howard aka Hinfrance , because I know he owns a Prophecy Les Paul Custom Plus GX.

Howard, is your Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul Custom Plus GX one of the later versions (2012-Current), fitted with a Gibson USA 490R humbucker in the neck, and a Gibson USA 498T humbucker in the bridge position??

Also can you tell me roughly what heights you have the pickups set to, the distance between strings and the pickups especially the bridge pickup. Please.

Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Hinfrance

Morning Mick.

The serial number on my Prophesy indicates that it was made in July 2012 at the Quingdoa plant.

It does have the Gibson pickups.

OK, I got the vernier gauge out and hopefully have some numbers for you. Measured from the top of the string to the top of the PU/fretboard. The strings are 10s.

My measurements are as follows:

Bridge PU:
Low E nearest bridge 5.5mm
Low E at nearest neck 3.9mm
High E nearest bridge 3mm
High E nearest neck 2.5mm

Neck PU:
Low E 4.3mm both ends
High E 4.2mm both ends

It probably wants looking at again as I think that the neck PU is probably too high. But at my level of playing it isn't going to make too much difference!

Action height at the very end of the neck:
Low E 4.3mm
High E 2.8mm

Still plays beautifully and sounds, to my ears are least, rather wonderful. My old band's guitar player still heads straight for the Harley Benton 450L every time he visits and we have a jam. No class, that boy. :o

Mick

Thanks Howard, seems quite different from mine, in fact the othe way around, my bridge pickup is only about (haven't got the measurements to hand atm, but around 3-3.5mm from height e to pickup body, and around the same for low e.   Neck is around 6mm

I've been advised to lower the pickups (bodies) to around 6mm and then adjust the poll pieces to get a even volume and tone to suite.  To get a bit more brightness out of it.  Just seemed a bit muddy compared to my Les paul standard PTP, and the HB L-450  plus, and want to improve it.

I'll measure again some time today, and compare them with yours.  Thank you.  :tup:

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Hinfrance

I do try to avoid adjusting the pole pieces if I can . .

The way I go about making the adjustments is to start with the neck PU, raising it to a height that does not unduly impede the vibration of the strings.  Then I balance that PU by plucking the high and low E strings and adjust the height of each side of the PU to get as even a volume as I can. I then repeat the process with the bridge PU. Lastly I try to balance the volume of the two PUs by lowering the louder of the two until they have roughly the same apparent volume.

And then I spend a long time trying to play the darned things  :legit:

Hinfrance

PS Mick, let us know how you get on.

Hinfrance

Mick,

As you are another Prophesy owner here's one for you - and possibly any other Gibson/Epi owners.

A couple of days ago I pulled on the bridge pickup pot to split the coil. The shaft came straight out. So I need a new 500k split coil pot. Having taken the back off of the guitar I find A) that there is only a smattering of anti static paint, and B) that the pot is a bespoke plug in type - so unless I rewire I shall need a genuine pot.

So here is a plea - does anyone know where I can acquire such a thing? My local music shop lost it's Gibson franchise in the great cull of shops not selling shed loads of the darned things - like rural France was ever going to be one of the best selling regions . .

Cheers, H

Mick

Hi Howard.  Can't say I've looked in the back of my Prophecy so have no idea what's in there.  Have you got a photo of one of the pots with the plug?  I'd be interested to see it.

Shame that Shaun from Guitar Sauce isn't around on here these days, I'm sure he could give you some advice, https://guitaristguild.com/index.php/topic,452.0.html

https://guitarsauce.com.au/

I might drop him a pm, and see if he can pop in.  You never know.  ;)

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Hinfrance

Thanks Mick . If not I can get a decent after market all solder joint pot from Thomann.

I've put the plate back on for the time being, so I don't have a photo at the moment.

Mick

Quote from: Hinfrance on March 23, 2019, 10:13:44 AM
Thanks Mick . If not I can get a decent after market all solder joint pot from Thomann.

I've put the plate back on for the time being, so I don't have a photo at the moment.

No problem Re: the photo H.   So basically when you say its a plugin one, it's just soldered one with a short lead and plug on the other end?   I haven't found a parts / or wiring diagram for a Prophecy GX as yet, wondering if it uses the same from a different model.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

shannonrichards

Quote from: Hinfrance on May 10, 2015, 09:47:04 AMMorning Mick.

The serial number on my Prophesy indicates that it was made in July 2012 at the Quingdoa plant.

It does have the Gibson pickups.

OK, I got the vernier gauge out and hopefully have some numbers for you. Measured from the top of the string to the top of the PU/fretboard. The strings are 10s.

My measurements are as follows:

Bridge PU:
Low E nearest bridge 5.5mm
Low E at nearest neck 3.9mm
High E nearest bridge 3mm
High E nearest neck 2.5mm

Neck PU:
Low E 4.3mm both ends
High E 4.2mm both ends

It probably wants looking at again as I think that the neck PU is probably too high. But at my level of playing it isn't going to make too much difference!

Action height at the very end of the neck:
Low E 4.3mm
High E 2.8mm

Still plays beautifully and sounds, to my ears are least, rather wonderful. My old band's guitar player still heads straight for the Harley Benton 450L every time he visits and we have a jam. No class, that boy. :o
Your old band's guitar player seems to have a special connection with it, always gravitating towards it for jam sessions. Sounds like a timeless piece that continues to impress!

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com