Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,190
  • Total Topics: 1,647
  • Online today: 84
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 85
  • Total: 86
  • Mick
samash.com

Digitech Whammy 5 - review of the ergonomics

Started by Hinfrance, March 05, 2015, 05:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

Hi all,

Here is my Youtube review of the ergonomics of the Whammy 5 Guitar pedal. There are loads of videos about how good they sound, but for me the issue is that it and its bass cousin are floor pedals that can't easiy be used on the floor, either in the studio (read bedroom) or live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLQW8uSumbI&feature=youtu.be

Hinfrance

Interesting, 1285 views of this thread, but only 15 views of the video . .

Connor Baxter

Very Interesting video @Hinfrance nicely depthed opinions on the two models.

I myself have the 4th generation model (big fan of users Tom Morello, Jack White, and Radiohead).

I can totally see where you are coming from with the, some of the suggestions you had noted, i could happily agree with.

From my experience with the 4th gen model (pretty similar to the 5th layout wise), I'm pretty content with the single activation Button, and rotary knob to select sounds, although it is a bit fiddly. I've recently seen a manufacturer create a sequencer Dual footswitch to go through the different effects, and apparently tweak/improve some too.

The only main bits of grief i have with my unit are:

- chassis is good and strong, but a bit heavy, makes transporting my pedalboard to gigs considerably tougher on foot!

-Powersupply it takes the opposite voltage/current to the rest of my pedals, and i cannot not power it with my Voodoolab 2

-Although i love the infamous filthy sound that the pitch effects create, comparing the cleaner sounding EHX pog units. I sometimes wish that there was a switch to clean it up fro when playing chords/cleaner sections, more musical aspects ;)  IS that what the classic/chord mode is for on the 5th model?

Great video, and I hope to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Connor

Hinfrance

Interesting to read your take on it Connor. Thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts up.

For me the real bugbears are the hand operated switches that mean it can't be used live for anything other than a preselected effect. If there is one thing I don't want to be doing in front of an audience it's fiddling with a pedal on the floor in the half light. Luckily I only perform playing bass, my guitar skills are very primitive in comparison (although I have seen people who play worse than me having the front to stand up in public and strum away!).

I went for an old fashioned whammy effect in the end - I just use my Affinity Strat which now has a backbox fitted :)

I would still really like to see a next generation bass pedal though  :tup:

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com