Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,173
  • Total Topics: 1,635
  • Online today: 303
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 61
  • Total: 61
Guitar Center

Internet buying experiences, so far.

Started by Mick, November 28, 2014, 06:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

How do you guys get on with buying gear over the internet, so far I've had two damaged guitars, and one damaged amp. These are all from three different shops I might add.

!: Gear4Music Epiphone Prophecy, had a broken pickup selector switch, and a scratch on the body next to the switch. Got that guitar replaced without problem.  In fact I'm sure this is the one I sent back. although looks a lot worse than the one I had, so might be another one.   I will add, I've bought other gear from these guys, and had no problems, the service is excellent.

2: Thomann Harley Benton L-450 Plus, also a broken selector switch, no other damage, so asked to keep it and Thomann supplied me a switch FOC. Over all I can't fault the service.

3: GAK A Blackstar HT-5R.  Once again and broken switch, this time the emulated output switch on the back of the amp, which is strange as it's tucked away out of harms way, or at least I'd have thought it was.  Anyway, awaiting  GAK to rearrange the courier to pick it up for replacement.  I'll keep you posted on this one.  Again, I have purchased other gear from them, and the service was excellent.

Anyone else had bad luck like me?
Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Scarebear

Great question. I'd say for the most part my experiences have been positive.

• Buddemeyer Hangnail Pro I am out of pocket $600 (with no guitar) and have given up on ever seeing that despite promises for near two years.
  • Moniker Guitars custom Reedsdale I've posted many times about how awesome that guitar is. Fantastic online shopping experience.
  • Pro Tone Pedals Skumstortion pedal Possibly the greatest bargain I've picked-up online. I couldn't be happier with that pedal purchase.
  • Marshall MG15HFX I bought this amplifier from an eBay store and it went perfectly. Exactly as I'd hoped it would go.

I have purchased most of my guitar pedals online and they've all been perfect. I also purchased three very cheap guitars on eBay (mostly for my kids) and although they weren't fantastic guitars, they were what I thought I'd get for the prices I paid.

So for me, even though the first purchase was a massive failure that bothers me to this day, the other purchases have been fine. I'd do it again. In fact, I have done it again and am awaiting my pre-ordered Dialtone Pickups. I've little doubt they'll also be awesome.
scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

Hinfrance

1. I get most of my stuff from Thomann, and although I have had a few issues the test of any retailer, online or otherwise, is how well they deal with the issues - in this regard I cannot fault them, although I think I have learned that their guitars are amazingly good at the price (I also got my Prophesy from them at a bargain price), but their own brand bass guitars leave a lot to be desired. I eventually sold my HBZ2005 after it developed an earth hum that I could not eliminate even after regrounding the bridge pieces and pickups - I didn't find the neck comfortable, too round, so this was the straw that broke the camel's back - it must have been a problem with the cheap as chips active circuit. I now have one of their Progressive Series basses, a 550. It was a nightmare to set up (but it's OK when done), and the finish on the edges of the neck is rough. It does, nevertheless, play quite well. The big problem is the electronics, again. The active circuit is always live, so I have to remove the battery every time after I have finished playing it. Again, this must be an internal leak somewhere: I've ordered a £3 mini switch to disconnect the battery as I really can't be bothered to send it back. I only wanted a 5 string for occasional use, so it'll do.
2. Vanson Guitars; eBay shop. I bought some pickups and a bridge from them - excellent service and good value.

SpartanMusic

GAK have been really good for me in the past; fast delivery, have sorted out problems quickly - 10/10. Hoping to buy a Blackstar ID Core 20 from them soon.

Thomann have been ok, if a bit slow. When I bought from them my package was a bit bashed too. Guess it does come from Germany though.

Amazon have been reliable too. Their customer service has been beyond good. I once managed to return something after 8 months!

Mick

Quote from: SpartanMusic on January 27, 2015, 11:22:55 AM

GAK have been really good for me in the past; fast delivery, have sorted out problems quickly - 10/10. Hoping to buy a Blackstar ID Core 20 from them soon.

GAK come highly recommended by me too.  I forgot to come back and leave an update on my Damaged HT-5R purchase.  I realised it was the effect loop db switch that was broken, and not the emulated out switch.  And I can still use the switch because only the end had broken off.  I agreed to keep the amp, and GAK gave me £35.00 back which I was happy with.

My only niggle with them is their website, I find it quite difficult to use, to narrow and bunched up in the middle of the screen.  Could do with being wider and bigger images.  And the text is also pretty hard to see. 

Service has been great though, very speedy, and very helpful. 
Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com