Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,172
  • Total Topics: 1,635
  • Online today: 132
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 131
  • Total: 131
Guitar Center

When to start a child on guitar?

Started by AtrumKithara, November 02, 2014, 03:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AtrumKithara

So, I recently became a father and it has taken over my life. Life got excessively busy well before she was born, but now that we are five weeks in, I am slowly getting back into normal life again, sleep and all that.

Being a firm believer that music education and learning to play an instrument is important, I look forward to sharing the experience with her eventually. Obviously she is way too young right now, but at what age do you start and how?

I know there are children learning violin as young as two. Would that be crazy for guitar? Better to start on a different instrument like piano first, like Eddie Van Halen? Am I crazy for already thinking about this?
www.atrumarte.com  - Unique instruments for unique musicians.

Joom

Congratulations, AtrumKithara.

Two might be a little young for guitar, but not too young to start developing the interest in music.  Piano, or a small keyboard, would be great.  About 3-4 possibly a small acoustic if you can find one that fingers easy, just to get them used to strings.  In the meantime, playing music and singing to them is a great thing.

All depends on the individual child and how you approach it.  I'm sure you'll do fine...
A computer once beat me at chess.  As it turns out, though, it was no match for me at kick boxing...

AtrumKithara

Thanks, Joom.

I wonder if it would be better to start with something like a ukulele  for the size and simplicity,  along with the nylon strings being soft and easy on the fingers. Might be a good excuse to get or build myself one and start learning. Never to early for me to learn things that can help my daughter.  ;D
www.atrumarte.com  - Unique instruments for unique musicians.

Joom

Uke would be perfect, AK.  Just something they can manage for size, pluck, and get used to holding the neck.  The rest will come.  Then, at 4-6 (depending on their size), you hand them something like this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/squier-mini-strat-electric-guitar?tandt_rdir=1&nN=true

And really get started.  By then, their curiosity will be peaked and they'll be ready.  The hard part is keeping them focused on the basics at first (scales, etc.), but again it depends on the interest built beforehand.

Another thing that helps is a beat box of some kind for them to play with when listening to music.  Small bongo, or just about anything they can bang out a beat on.  Helps build rhythm and timing, and gives them a better feel for it when using an instrument...
A computer once beat me at chess.  As it turns out, though, it was no match for me at kick boxing...

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com