Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,173
  • Total Topics: 1,635
  • Online today: 293
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 244
  • Total: 244
samash.com

HELP!

Started by GuitarStarTV, October 10, 2014, 02:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuitarStarTV

Lol! I feel like I'm learning music theory all over again! There are so many things to take in. I want to create good sounding material on my own at home without having to get loads of other instruments plugged in too. I'm going to be recording instrumental ideas & need something that I can add drum & bass tracks myself!
Check out my pages @
www.facebook.com/TVGuitarstar
www.youtube.com/TVGuitarstar
www.twitter.com/guitarstar_TV
www.instagram.com/guitarstartv

Joom

I don't use a mobile device myself, everything on the PC.

For drums, there are quite a few good packages out there.  EZDrummer, PC Drummer Pro, Steiberg's Groove Agent 3, and the list goes on.  Even one called Hydrogen on SourceForge.  Lots of people use EZDrummer, though I prefer PC Drummer Pro (though it's a toss up).

Mainly, though, I use the drum systems in Reason most of the time.  I just like Reason for everything.

For bass, I either use a good bass synth and the keyboard, or I program bass samples into the drum systems and let it handle everything.

As you say, there's lots to take in, and everything depends on where you want to go and who is helping you.  Everyone will suggest something different...
A computer once beat me at chess.  As it turns out, though, it was no match for me at kick boxing...

GuitarStarTV

Well I have no tower PC and a very old laptop so that's out of the question. All my recording will be done on iPad so need something that I can access on here! Thanks for all the advice mate!
Check out my pages @

Joom

Oh my goodness........no PC?  I knew somebody like that once back in '64... :P

I know a lot of people are doing some really cool things on mobile devices for recording and mixing now, but I'm one of those old school guys I guess.  Sit down at the PC, and have all the software/hardware toys with all the bells and whistles ready to go.  My systems are showing their age, though, so I think a new one will have to be on the Christmas list this year.  Something big and bad... ;D
A computer once beat me at chess.  As it turns out, though, it was no match for me at kick boxing...

Hinfrance

I've been trying out various DAWs on my PC, and have bought licences for Cubase Elements and Reaper. As I get more involved I find myself turning to Cubase Elements more and more, simply because of the very usable packaged VST instruments and the huge library of ready made drum and other loops - I still haven't managed to work my way through them all. I use Addictive Drums version 1 and 2 for most of my drum tracks, but the built in Cubase drum machine, even in the Elements version one iteration, is plenty powerful enough for a tyro like me. I was thinking of upgrading, but I have got loads of learning to do even with this base version.

So why mention it when you are lumbered with using an iPad? Well, because there is an iOS version and lots of other stuff. No idea how much it costs.

GuitarStarTV

Thanks for all your input guys! Lol! I know...no PC?! I used to have one but never used it so just stuck with a laptop. Soon as I discovered the iPad i very rarely touch my laptop except for basic word processing. I nearly got a custom tower build specifically for recording music but love the idea that I can take my iPad and iRig around with me & record at any time or anywhere.
I've got a brain full of song ideas & riffs that if I don't record some soon my brain will explode. I even resort to using an old single deck tape recorder to document my ideas! Now that's what I call old skool!
Check out my pages @

Scarebear

I've wanted to try Cubasis on the iPad, but it's $50. I can't bring myself to start with $50 on an app (although some I've upgraded so much I know I've spent more). I prefer to start cheap and spend more if I like what I'm hearing/experiencing :)

How old is your laptop James? You could run Reaper on it and do more as Joom and Hinfrance have suggested than you could on an iPad. For when you want to make a seriously professional recording. I'm very much like you though. I like to create on the run :)

Oh, I see we're using VigLink now (because I didn't add links) :)
scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

Joom

Quote from: GuitarStarTV on October 19, 2014, 05:42:33 PM
I've got a brain full of song ideas & riffs that if I don't record some soon my brain will explode. I even resort to using an old single deck tape recorder to document my ideas! Now that's what I call old skool!

For years I've carried a pocket recorder with me, especially while driving.  They kept getting smaller, now about the size of a pack of gum.  When I think of a tune, I just do the old "dum de dum de dum" thing so I remember it.  Same when I think of lyrics.  Then I sit down at the PC when I get home.

Not as cool as jamming a new tune with a guitar and tablet on the bench at the beach, but it works for me.  Like I said, all the mobile stuff looks (and I'm sure is) cool, but I just can't personally get out of the old school mode... :P

GuitarStarTV

Quote from: Scarebear on October 21, 2014, 03:20:22 AM
I've wanted to try Cubasis on the iPad, but it's $50. I can't bring myself to start with $50 on an app (although some I've upgraded so much I know I've spent more). I prefer to start cheap and spend more if I like what I'm hearing/experiencing :)

How old is your laptop James? You could run Reaper on it and do more as Joom and Hinfrance have suggested than you could on an iPad. For when you want to make a seriously professional recording. I'm very much like you though. I like to create on the run :)

Oh, I see we're using VigLink now (because I didn't add links) :)

My laptop is probably around 8 years old I think so pretty ancient! Lol! Might think about trying it out on the iPad first and then if I hit barriers in my recording demands I may look to get a new laptop!
Check out my pages @

Scarebear

There are also plenty of handy videos on YouTube that teach you about the drum loop and/or studio add-ons before you buy them. Such as ...

scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

GuitarStarTV

Fantastic video mate! Thanks for sharing! Loop drummer looks amazing as well as the studio add on!
Check out my pages @

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com