Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 327
  • Latest: Sucih
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,164
  • Total Topics: 1,631
  • Online today: 34
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 24
  • Total: 24
Guitar Center

HELP!

Started by GuitarStarTV, October 10, 2014, 02:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuitarStarTV

Right so going on lots of advice which I'm very restful for I think I'm getting the iRig Pro to record my stuff. Now comes the question of which DAW to use? I know GarageBand is a popular choice as its free but does it give you everything you need or is it worth shelling out for something like amputube? I'm going to be recording my guitar and need artificial drums & bass wtc as as it wil just be me laying down a few song ideas. So which is best in everyone's opinion? Cheers for all the help!

James
Check out my pages @
www.facebook.com/TVGuitarstar
www.youtube.com/TVGuitarstar
www.twitter.com/guitarstar_TV
www.instagram.com/guitarstartv

Joom

That question will get you 10 different answers from 10 different people, GS. :P

But the answers will be interesting... ;)
A computer once beat me at chess.  As it turns out, though, it was no match for me at kick boxing...

Scarebear

I'll have to agree with Joom :)

My 2c worth though ... It depends how you plan on recording and what you want to do. Apps like JamUp Pro and AmpliTube have optional 8-track recorders you can purchase that work perfectly with their own tones. AmpliTube has the additional (and also for a fee) backing drum pack. If you want to do everything in one app, AmpliTube is the way to go.

If you plan on using AudioBus to connect your guitar tones to a different drum app then it might be worthwhile getting a dedicated DAW in iOS. We are talking iOS by the way I assume ;)

My favourite iOS DAWs are MultiTrack DAW and Meteor Multi Track Recorder. I use Meteor the most.

I hope that helps.
scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

GuitarStarTV

Cheers mate. Thought ampitubr was the way I was swaying but didn't want to shell out unless I felt it was needed.
Check out my pages @

Scarebear

Quote from: GuitarStarTV on October 10, 2014, 07:28:23 PM
Cheers mate. Thought ampitubr was the way I was swaying but didn't want to shell out unless I felt it was needed.

If you're buying iRig then trial the free version of AmpliTube first. You'll get a simple recording option to trial I believe (single track?) so you can see if you like it before you guy it. Just know that if you buy addons in the free version they do not transfer into the paid version. So either buy no add-ons or buy them all from the free version (you end up paying the same amount and end up with the same gear  :))

Oh and watch IK Multimedia on Facebook or Twitter. They often have huge deals that can save you heaps!

GuitarStarTV

Thanks so much mate! I will definitely do that! I think I'm going to get the iRig pro. Amputube looks the best for me as it has a lot of addons available for me to create drum tracks by myself.
Will follow them on Twitter & facebook for some deals!
Thanks again mate!
Check out my pages @

GuitarStarTV

Right...I think I'm sold on amplitube as it seems to offer everything I need.
Has anyone purchased the drumloop add on? If so is it good & how much is it?
Thanks guys!
Check out my pages @

Scarebear

I've purchased it. I pretty much have everything in AmpliTube. Well, up until the most recent update. But I'll get that new gear too ;)

I do like the drum loop addon. My only dislike is that you can't start drums in any other bar than the first bar. so if you wanted to start with a guitar part and then have the drums kick in later, you can't do that in AmpliTube. You'd need to use a proper DAW (iOS version included) and combine the guitar and drums there.

I've done that too.

GuitarStarTV

Cheers mate for that!
So I will need a decent laptop or Mac to really utilise it fully?
What DAW do you use?
How much is the drum loop add on?
Check out my pages @

Scarebear

AmpliTube on iOS is where you get the drum loops addons. I know they just released a second drum style pack and that is $18.99 (AUD prices) which includes Jazz, Reggae, Latin, Rock, Pop, Metal Blues and Funky packs. I assume the first pack of similar styles cost me the same. It really depends on what you want to do and where you want to do it.

I've spent probably about $100 or so over the years on AmpliTube for iOS (I've been using it since 2011 at least). I have almost every add-on the app contains. I am a big fan of their tone. I can record very decent sounding songs using just this app. It's not a complete package, but it's pretty damn close. Connect it to a DAW like Meteor using Audiobus and the sky is the limit.

For PC or Mac though, you'll need a DAW like Reaper and the VST version of AmpliTube. PC/Mac is more versatile and you should be able to produce more complete and professional recordings. Or you can combine the two.

Check out Evangelos Koudonas on Bandcamp. He records all of his guitar in iOS and then mixes it all (using GarageBand for drums I believe) on the Mac. There's more to it than that, but he really shows what is achievable. Plus he's a great musician and person :)

GuitarStarTV

Thanks so much for all your help my friend. I'm a complete novice at home recording and have always concentrated so much on my playing and live performance that when it comes to recording I have always been in a band and gone to a recording studio!
I will be sure to check it out!
I will undoubtably be coming to you for further help! :-)
Check out my pages @

Scarebear

Quote from: GuitarStarTV on October 19, 2014, 06:29:45 AM
I will undoubtably be coming to you for further help! :-)

No worries at all. I'll be here :)

Maybe I should put together a few articles later on the processes I go through on iOS and PC ...

GuitarStarTV

That would be a massive help to me mate! I'm in a bit of a minefield at the moment! Lol!
Check out my pages @

GuitarStarTV

Quote from: Scarebear on October 19, 2014, 12:27:15 AM
AmpliTube on iOS is where you get the drum loops addons. I know they just released a second drum style pack and that is $18.99 (AUD prices) which includes Jazz, Reggae, Latin, Rock, Pop, Metal Blues and Funky packs. I assume the first pack of similar styles cost me the same. It really depends on what you want to do and where you want to do it.

I've spent probably about $100 or so over the years on AmpliTube for iOS (I've been using it since 2011 at least). I have almost every add-on the app contains. I am a big fan of their tone. I can record very decent sounding songs using just this app. It's not a complete package, but it's pretty damn close. Connect it to a DAW like Meteor using Audiobus and the sky is the limit.

For PC or Mac though, you'll need a DAW like Reaper and the VST version of AmpliTube. PC/Mac is more versatile and you should be able to produce more complete and professional recordings. Or you can combine the two.

Check out Evangelos Koudonas on Bandcamp. He records all of his guitar in iOS and then mixes it all (using GarageBand for drums I believe) on the Mac. There's more to it than that, but he really shows what is achievable. Plus he's a great musician and person :)

Soooooooooo......
Excuse my ignorance, if I was to use amplitude to record my guitar parts and use the drum loop facility to insert my drum patterns, what would Meteor enable me to do? Meteor is another recording app right? So why use both together?

My brain aches!
Check out my pages @

Joom

It will be fun watching your progress on this, GS.  Be sure and keep giving us the step by step, blow by blow, on how things fall into place for you...
A computer once beat me at chess.  As it turns out, though, it was no match for me at kick boxing...

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com