Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,172
  • Total Topics: 1,635
  • Online today: 132
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 114
  • Total: 114
samash.com

A guitar player challenge...

Started by Joom, September 02, 2014, 12:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joom

We don't really have a board for challenges or collabs here yet, so I'm putting this here.

I did this piece about 5 years ago as a challenge.  A few people have tried to play with it over the years, but no one has ever finished the piece.  I'd almost forgotten about it till coming across it this evening.

I created this piece specifically for a guitar player to add some freestyle to it.  Although guitar could be added anywhere, the sections with only drums were left open to be filled by someone.  And the entire ending was left wide open for the finish.  The section starting at 1:10 is meant to be a call/response thing.

The challenge is to lay down a guitar track that completes the piece.  Though not mandatory, I would expect the added track to be a little 'heavier' than the rest of the piece.  Make it scream.  The guitar track doesn't have to run all the way to the end of this, I just left plenty of room for a big finish and tail.

No prizes for this challenge, though it would be a good one for a prize.  Nothing but the pure satisfaction of doing it.

If you're into mixing, feel free.  If not, post up the track and I'll do the mixing.

So whatdya say?  This is Guitarist Guild, let's hear some guitar...  :D
A computer once beat me at chess.  As it turns out, though, it was no match for me at kick boxing...

GuitarStarTV

Check out my pages @
www.facebook.com/TVGuitarstar
www.youtube.com/TVGuitarstar
www.twitter.com/guitarstar_TV
www.instagram.com/guitarstartv

Hinfrance

Well, I reckon it needs some bass - I've sort of done it after a couple of listens. I only had a few minutes and there is at least one one bit I mucked up quite badly. I offer this as a 'first thoughts' on the matter. The bass is way up in this mix so you can get the idea of what I was working on. Please ignore the bum notes for now - is the basic idea OK?

Joom

Hinfrance, definitely needs bass.  That was going to be the next call, but I'm glad you jumped in now.  In fact, when I first created the piece I had a bass lead in mind for the call/response part.  Then changed my mind.  Kinda.

Listening to your mix now, sounding good.  I always put a proof of concept track more up front to test out too.

.......Okay, just finished 3rd listen through - like it.  Only thing I'd suggest is that if GSTV is getting in on it you two will want to work together for timing and 'space'.  Other than that, I'm sitting here smiling.

And the first Guitarist Guild collab is under way, with a most excellent start... ;D
A computer once beat me at chess.  As it turns out, though, it was no match for me at kick boxing...

Hinfrance

Given that this is a guitar challenge I think it would be appropriate to have a more consistent bass line running throughout, at least until the second guitar part is done and dusted. So I'll take the basic principle and run a more solid bass line for now. I'll do that tomorrow with a bit of luck and a following wind.

What DAW are you using? It might be an idea to dropbox the various tracks so you can edit the versions. I have Reaper and Cubase Elements. I've got a trial of Studio One running, but it doesn't appear to be possible to import an mp3 into that.

Joom

All sounds good, Hinfrance.

Pretty much any WAV file from any DAW or recorder would be usable.  But for any compatibility questions, I think I have a copy of Cubase Elements installed somewhere.  Regular ones I work with are Reaper, Reason, Samplitude Pro X, FL Studio 11 Producer, Sony Acid Pro 7, Sony Sound Forge 10, and have a few others installed for kicks and compatibility, like Mixcraft 6, TrakAxPC, and of course Audacity (just because).

I don't use Pro Tools anymore, or Cubase, and never got into Studio One.

In general, though, if you can throw a track at me in any format I can do something with it.  That doesn't mean it will be good, but I can do something with it. :P

Looking forward to this project, good one to get the ball rolling on...

Hinfrance

If you work with Reaper then we have a DAW we both use in common. I've got a couple of hectic days ahead, but I will try to cut a decent track with Reaper when I can and attach it here.

I tend to use Cubase Elements more, despite finding it a complete and utter pain to start with, because the Halion SE synth sounds so good, and I haven't found any equivalent shareware one I can use with Reaper. Also now I have changed the default colours to a more pastel suite it doesn't hurt my eyes any more either!

Joom

Pretty hectic here right now too, Hinfrance, no problem.

Reaper is kinda my goto DAW, but I use them all for one thing or another.  I use a few synths in Reaper, but for most of that kind of work I use Reason.  Has it all.

And yeah, funny how the right configuration of your DAW (colors, layout, shortcuts, etc.) all makes working with it more fun and more productive...

GuitarStarTV

Here's something quick just knocked out!
Put it on soundcloud as don't have the software to create mo3's
Hope you like it

www.soundcloud.com/guitarstartv/guitarist-guild-challenge
Check out my pages @

Hinfrance

Try downloading Reaper from here http://www.reaper.fm

There is a long trial period and a low price for personal use. It will let you render tracks to WAV out of the box so to speak, which is fine.

GuitarStarTV

Check out my pages @

Hinfrance

I've recorded a more solid bass track in Reaper. I've got to find an mp3 codec to upload a mix. House full of guests at the moment - trying to find the time to sneak  away and get it done. Watch this space . . .

OK, here is an mp3 of the mix. I haven't found out where Reaper stores the recorded audio tracks, so there is not much point yet in adding the RRP file.

WhiteStrat

Hey guys, I've been watching the progression of things on this thread with interest. Looking good, so far.

For just listening purposes mp3 files are fine.
Formats normally used for sharing 'mix ready' files are Wave (uncompressed), FLAC (lossless compressed) or AIFF (Apple equivalent to Wave). Any half decent DAW will accept these formats. I wouldn't try to use the Reaper files, since they are probably 'chunks' of sound file, used in your mix and of doubtful use to anyone else.

In the DAW I use, Sonar 8 Producer, I simply solo the track I want and export it, primarily as a Wave. From there, I can easily convert to any other format I need with Audacity (the mp3 codec should be easily located).
I'll, normally, send out mp3s just for reference and to present ideas. If all is good, I'll send Wave files.
Like many other DAWS, I can export the whole mix in a folder, files, settings, audio chunks, waves, etc. But it is an enormous folder of files, only useful if you have Sonar 8 Pro....... and a spare drive to carry it...LOL.

Just for fun, here is 'Freestyle' with a bass I put onto it way back in January. I gotta confess, this isn't my favourite style, LOL. I sure had sore fingers after about the 6th take..... :-[

If you guys need someone to put this mix together for ya, give me a shout. I've gotten more and more interested in mixing/producing over the last couple of years and the practice will do me good.  ;)
Just plug in, turn it up and play until something breaks....
https://soundcloud.com/whitestrat73

Joom

Just listened to all posted tracks, sounding good everybody.  GS, liked what you were doing with the lead there.  Little hard to make it all out, but got most of it.

Pretty pumped about where this could end up, it's fun seeing these things progress...

Hinfrance

The .wav file, even of just the bass track on its own is too large a file to upload here. There is a little bit flange on this bass track. I can take if off if required. So I've done a medium resolution mp3 of the bass guitar only which it ought to be possible to load into a DAW. If anyone has trouble syncing it I'll do another file with the drum count in. Let me know how you get on. :)

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com