Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,173
  • Total Topics: 1,635
  • Online today: 293
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 209
  • Total: 209
samash.com

When to record guitar parts

Started by Looking-Glass Lantern, August 16, 2014, 08:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Looking-Glass Lantern

Having always recorded all instruments before vocals, on the new LGL album I've saved the guitar parts until the end. This is a revelation, because guitar lines can really 'answer' or 'fit in' much more successfully. They are also played differently because the vocals are on while recording the guitar. As they say, it's a learning curve...  :idea:

macman

This is an interesting approach. I can see how that could work well. Must try this :tup:

Looking-Glass Lantern

Cheers! I also think that it might contrast well with other guitar lines which are keyboard-led, by being more call and response derived... I'll keep on trying new ways of doing things!! 8)

Joom

I think it's a good idea as well, LGL.  You'll have to post results so we can have a listen...
A computer once beat me at chess.  As it turns out, though, it was no match for me at kick boxing...

WhiteStrat

I normally try to put a guide vocal down early on in the recording process, to keep me on the straight and narrow, as it were.....  ;)
Although, too many times the guide ends up being the main vox.....  :-[

Then, when I add guitar, I feel I'm more zoned in with what's (going to be) going on in the song, and I can play around where the vox will be/is. Also, when/if I redo the main vox, I can relate the vox a little more to the guitar. Kind of a mirror effect.........  ;D

Oh, and more through laziness than design, I can later use the guide vox as a double, a harmony or a drone, as appropriate....  :P
Just plug in, turn it up and play until something breaks....
https://soundcloud.com/whitestrat73

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com