Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,172
  • Total Topics: 1,635
  • Online today: 132
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 116
  • Total: 116
Guitar Center

What Browser do you use?

Started by Mick, July 13, 2014, 12:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

Just being nosey.  What browser do you use mainly while perusing the internet?

Although I have Firefox and Chrome installed, I seem to always use Internet Explorer 11.  Everyone seems to slag this browser, but I'm one of those who actually like it.  :-[
Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

WhiteStrat

Quote from: Mick on July 13, 2014, 12:08:22 PM
Just being nosey.  What browser do you use mainly while perusing the internet?

Although I have Firefox and Chrome installed, I seem to always use Internet Explorer 11.  Everyone seems to slag this browser, but I'm one of those who actually like it.  :-[

Oh well, Mick, there's no accounting for taste.. LOL  :D

I use Opera. Have done for years now........... ::)
Just plug in, turn it up and play until something breaks....
https://soundcloud.com/whitestrat73

Joom

As usual, no simple one-line answer for me. :P

I'll keep it short, though, and just say I use IE, FF, and Chrome regularly, but also use Opera, Safari, and a half dozen or so lesser known browsers for testing and other things.  This site happens to usually be up in FF...
A computer once beat me at chess.  As it turns out, though, it was no match for me at kick boxing...

Scarebear

Quote from: Joom on July 13, 2014, 04:26:17 PM
As usual, no simple one-line answer for me. :P

I'll keep it short, though, and just say I use IE, FF, and Chrome regularly, but also use Opera, Safari, and a half dozen or so lesser known browsers for testing and other things.  This site happens to usually be up in FF...

What Joom said (with the difference being my Chrome default). I don't currently, but have tested in a variety of little known Linux browsers from time to time. You know, when I need the challenge ;)
scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

Joom

Yup, and I'm a little unusual because #1, I do website work for clients, and #2, I keep a crapload of things open all the time.

A long, long time ago I made FF my default browser because (at the time) it was the only one that could recover from a crash and reopen all windows/tabs that were open at the time of the crash.  And it was the first one to have a session manager addon to save and reopen a group of windows/tabs without having to use Bookmarks/Favorites every time.  These days, though, there are session managers for both IE and Chrome, too.

We have 8 systems always on here at the house, and I have 3 at my primary desk on a KVM.  Always on.  On each of those machines, I will always have a number of windows/tabs open in at least FF, IE, and Chrome.  On the system I'm on right now, I have 11 FF windows open - one with 16 tabs, one with 4, one with 3, and the others just 1.  I have 9 IE windows open, some with multiple tabs.  And I have 6 Chrome windows open, some with multiple tabs.  That's pretty standard, all the time.  Part of the reason for the multiple browsers is that I'm logged into various sites as multiple people; some as myself, while at the same time as a client representative.

For instance, I can't be logged into a site like TripAdvisor as more than one person in the same browser on the same machine (cookie thing), so I use a different browser for each client I might be representing on the site.  And when I run out of browsers on one machine, I have more on another (and another).  And, I refresh them all regularly.  Also, I have session managers installed with saved sessions for when the different browsers inevitably crash once a day or so.

Safari, Opera, and the lessers I generally just use for testing purposes.  It's all a juggling act, but one I'm used to.

As many problems as there are with it, FF is my default on all machines and what you'd call my primary browser.  IE would be second, just because it's a 'standard'.  Chrome would be 3rd, with Safari and Opera somewhere close behind.  All just a personal preference.

And there's the longer version of the answer... ;D
A computer once beat me at chess.  As it turns out, though, it was no match for me at kick boxing...

Scarebear

That's intense!  :o

You make me believe if I mention Netscape and Alta Vista that you'll remember the good ol' days ;)

Joom

Oh yeah, just like they were..........the good old days. :P

Well, almost.  To get to the really good old days you have to go back to 300 baud receiver cradle modems, BBS's, and telnet applications.  My favorite ended up being Procomm Plus when that came out.  Bet you were a Qmodem person, SB... ;) :P

WhiteStrat

:D :P :D

I started out with Netscape 2, which I loved! In fact I learned html with a Netscape browser, in edit mode......  :tup:

At the same time I was chatting away on the newsgroups.............  ;D
Just plug in, turn it up and play until something breaks....
https://soundcloud.com/whitestrat73

Scarebear

Quote from: Joom on July 14, 2014, 11:08:37 AM
Oh yeah, just like they were..........the good old days. :P

Well, almost.  To get to the really good old days you have to go back to 300 baud receiver cradle modems, BBS's, and telnet applications.  My favorite ended up being Procomm Plus when that came out.  Bet you were a Qmodem person, SB... ;) :P

Wow! I'd forgotten about the joy of the old modems. I can't recall my first modem. 28.8K US Robotics perhaps? They were all the rage right? ;)

Quote from: WhiteStrat on July 14, 2014, 03:46:40 PM
:D :P :D

I started out with Netscape 2, which I loved! In fact I learned html with a Netscape browser, in edit mode......  :tup:

At the same time I was chatting away on the newsgroups.............  ;D

I think I learned HTML the same way :) Then I got tips from IRC.

I feel older than I know I am ;)

Joom

Yes, U.S. Robotics ended up being the modem to have.  And when we got to 14.4k speeds (much less 28.8k) we thought we were in speed heaven compared to the 300 baud.

Always amazing how fast things change/move in technology...

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com