Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,173
  • Total Topics: 1,635
  • Online today: 303
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 217
  • Total: 217
Guitar Center

Who me...?

Started by WhiteStrat, July 06, 2014, 08:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteStrat

Hello all.

I'm just a Brit, from London, who lives in Spain and has always had a guitar with him......  ::)

Since '73 it's been a Strat. A white one...........  ;D

I play a bit, here and there, and thoroughly love it.  8)

Played in bands, off and on, and have been known to play here, in Spain, too. Mostly 60s and 70s style, I guess, rock, blues, R+B, soul, reggae, African, country, Caribbean, jazz .......... you get the picture? If it's music, and I like it then I'll have a go at playing it....  :)

I'm quite interested in recording music, too. More so, now that the gear seems to be getting heavier....  :o

Can't think of much else to write, so......... look forward to bumping into you folk in the threads....  ;)
Just plug in, turn it up and play until something breaks....
https://soundcloud.com/whitestrat73

Joom

Hey, don't I know you from somewhere? :P

Good to see you here, White... ;)
A computer once beat me at chess.  As it turns out, though, it was no match for me at kick boxing...

Mick

Quote from: Joom on July 06, 2014, 08:23:32 PM
Hey, don't I know you from somewhere? :P

Good to see you here, White... ;)

Ditto, sure I have too.   ;)

WhiteStrat, welcome to GG.  :tup:  Don't forget to check out the competition boards, and get your entry in to win a full version of Riffstation.  That said, you've been playing long enough, you probably wouldn't need it.   :D

Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

WhiteStrat

LOL, Guilty as charged.........  :P

I wouldn't know where to start with riffstation....... Does it have 6 strings (4 at a pinch)?  ::)

I was gonna start this thread with, 'I'm wiv Joom'...........  :D

Joom

Quote from: WhiteStrat on July 06, 2014, 09:35:01 PM
I was gonna start this thread with, 'I'm wiv Joom'...........  :D

Don't know if that would gain you any points, W. :P

But now that you're here we could start a club, eh? ;)
A computer once beat me at chess.  As it turns out, though, it was no match for me at kick boxing...

Scarebear

Are you a maple or rosewood fretboard kind of WhiteStrat? The former is possibly my favourite Strat type. I'm not going to hold that against you if you're the rosewood kind though ;)
scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

WhiteStrat

Quote from: Scarebear on July 07, 2014, 03:48:15 AM
Are you a maple or rosewood fretboard kind of WhiteStrat? The former is possibly my favourite Strat type. I'm not going to hold that against you if you're the rosewood kind though ;)

Well, that's an interesting question, Scarebear.

Mine started out with a one piece maple neck, with the skunk stripe (3 bolt, micro tilt).
Sadly, a couple of things happened.
Firstly, after not many years, I noticed that the lacquer on the neck/fret board was chipping off.....  :o
I expected it to wear down smoothly, but it didn't. I started to chip away leaving hard edges, both on the fret board and on the back of the neck,  notably where my naughty thumb hangs out, on the top edge (yeah, I know it's bad technique, but if it's good enough for Jimi and Jeff, it's good enough for me).
After 35 years, the areas that were/are exposed became both rough on my fingers and dark/black because of finger oils/sweat and atmospheric stuff. Having black dots on a black background and sometimes having to transpose on the fly on stage, in half dark, do not go well together.
Secondly, it was wearing out! The frets were getting very uneven..... :(
So, I took it to a local, friendly luthier, who said he could fix it up for me, but it would be tricky, because of the thinness of the neck.
He did have, however, have a Strat neck, authorised but not Fender, which was almost new and at a lowish price. Thing is, it's Maple with rosewood fretboard and a 4 bolt fitting.  :-X

After he assured me he could do the swap and have it retro refittable for the old neck, I decided to take the plunge.

So, to answer your question........
After playing the new neck for a few years, yeah, I like it, a lot! It has a nice warm, sustaining sort of sound, with nice body. But, I also liked, and sometimes miss, the thinner brightness of the old neck.
Which am I?
Can I be be both?
8)

Scarebear

Quote from: WhiteStrat on July 07, 2014, 09:24:42 PM
Can I be be both?
8)

When you share an awesome guitar story like that, I think yes :) I love guitar history like that.
scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

DialtonePickups

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com