Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,173
  • Total Topics: 1,635
  • Online today: 303
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 59
  • Total: 59
Guitar Center

USB Audio Interfaces

Started by Mick, July 06, 2014, 09:04:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

How do you connect your gear to your computer, what kind of interface do you use. 

There seems to be a vast range of USB interfaces out there, a bit of a minefield imo.  What make and model would you recommend? Preferably with more than one input, for guitar, mike etc.
Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Joom

Good thread, Mick, should be very informational.

Not doing as much instrument recording anymore, I'm still using the trusty old 24/96 for that.  However, I do use the "MXL Mic Mate Pro" USB adapter for the mic.  Been using that for quite a while now, and like it pretty well.

And of course my "Evolution MK461-C" is connected by USB.  I've had that for years too, and it still keeps ticking.

But I know a lot of people are going to Behringer (and other) full box USB rigs.  There are some very nice ones out there...
A computer once beat me at chess.  As it turns out, though, it was no match for me at kick boxing...

Mick

Quote from: Joom on July 06, 2014, 04:34:21 PM

But I know a lot of people are going to Behringer (and other) full box USB rigs.  There are some very nice ones out there...

I always quite fancied one of the Line 6 Pod Studio series, not sure what direction Line 6 are heading these days.  They seem to have dropped quite a few of their products of late, wonder if that's something to do with Yamaha merge.

Others I've read up on, but not used are the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and although a bit pricier, the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 USB Audio Interface.  Not sure I want to spend that much, but it seems like a pretty solid performer.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Scarebear

I asked myself this very same question a while back. Then I asked the Internet (including the current poll on my website). It was decided that the Steinberg UR22 was the best option for me. Well I hope that was the decision, because that's what I bought :)

It comes with a DAW too which is handy if you're still contemplating one of those.
scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

Joom

Nice site, Scarebear.  Don't see Drupal sites as much as I used to.

Funny you have the ART in your list, I used to use one that I still have in a closet somewhere, but hadn't thought about it in a while...
A computer once beat me at chess.  As it turns out, though, it was no match for me at kick boxing...

Mick

Quote from: Scarebear on July 07, 2014, 03:30:42 AM
I asked myself this very same question a while back. Then I asked the Internet (including the current poll on my website). It was decided that the Steinberg UR22 was the best option for me. Well I hope that was the decision, because that's what I bought :)

It comes with a DAW too which is handy if you're still contemplating one of those.

The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 won your poll, that one was on my shortlist actually.  But I read somewhere there was some reliability issues.  Not sure how true that is tbh, as I only stumbled upon a similar thread in another forum.  Seems a popular choice though.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Scarebear

Quote from: Joom on July 07, 2014, 05:18:45 AM
Nice site, Scarebear.  Don't see Drupal sites as much as I used to.

Funny you have the ART in your list, I used to use one that I still have in a closet somewhere, but hadn't thought about it in a while...

I need to update my site design and my footer lists actually. I don't get the time to do that right. I used to use my own CMS, but again time got the better of me. I'm not 100% sold on Drupal, but it's doing the job for the most part. deviantART is a site I only peruse now. I used to have some of my own creations there, but that site isn't what it used to be. Not for me at least.

Quote from: Mick on July 07, 2014, 07:05:35 AM
The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 won your poll, that one was on my shortlist actually.  But I read somewhere there was some reliability issues.  Not sure how true that is tbh, as I only stumbled upon a similar thread in another forum.  Seems a popular choice though.
I've not heard about the reliability issues. If I hadn't discovered the UR22, I'd have bought the Scarlett 2i2. Everything I'd read and been told was positive. Plus, if it's good enough for Misha Mansoor ...

scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

Joom

Quote from: Scarebear on July 07, 2014, 02:00:08 PM
I need to update my site design and my footer lists actually. I don't get the time to do that right. I used to use my own CMS, but again time got the better of me. I'm not 100% sold on Drupal, but it's doing the job for the most part. deviantART is a site I only peruse now. I used to have some of my own creations there, but that site isn't what it used to be. Not for me at least.

I know what you mean about time, SB.  Besides client work, I have a dozen personal 'hobby' sites and never get the time to do everything I want with any of them.  Always have good intentions.

I used to try to do all my own stuff, but years back caved in and just decided it was just easier and faster to use what's already out there.  I went through a lot of forum software at the time, and finally settled on SMF - I think it was Lewis Media at the time.  Also over time tried Drupal and the rest, and finally settled on WordPress for a client CMS.  Nothing at all wrong with Drupal (or Joomla!), and there are some decent looking smaller ones out there, but WordPress just caught my fancy so I went with it.

Most of the time I prefer static websites that I can have more fine control over, but there are times when a CMS is needed or preferred for various reasons.

But now I'm hijacking the thread...  ???

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com