Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,172
  • Total Topics: 1,635
  • Online today: 144
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 144
  • Total: 144
Gear4Music

Harley Benton L-450Plus Honey Burst

Started by Mick, June 22, 2014, 10:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

Now, I know Hinfrance has mentioned the Harley Benton guitars before, and loves them.  I've been having a look at some of the range, and can't actually believe what spec and finish you get for your money, they seem to be really excellent value.

Take this one for example Harley Benton L-450Plus Honey Burst

"Harley Benton L-450Plus Honey Burst Vintage Series, Electric-Guitar, Mahogany Body, Arched Flamed "AAA"-Grade Maple Top, Set-In Mahogany Neck, C-Shape, 628mm Scale, 43mm Nut Width, Rosewood Fretboard, 22 Frets, 350 mm fretboard radius, Trapez Fretboard Inlays, Creme Body & Neck binding, Double Action Trussrod, 2x Wilkinson Alnico V MWCHB Humbucker Pickups, 3-Way Toggle Switch, 2-Volume control, 2-Tone Control, Kluson-Style Tuners, Deluxe Chrome Hardware, Colour: Hi-Gloss Honey Burst."

All for Around £116.00, it's an absolute steal.   I was going to consider buying a kit, and building it myself, but I'd never achieve the finish this has.  Also check out the videos on youtube and you'll get an idea just how this little beastie sounds.  Bargain.

Musikhaus Thomann Linkpartner
Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Hinfrance

Bargain certainly does describe this guitar. The pickups alone would cost more to buy than the whole thing.

I'm sitting looking at mine now - I keep the 450L in the study to strum and record with. Of the various guitars that I have, this one is second after the Prophesy IMHO. Just utterly beautiful, plays (after set up, obv) and sounds far better than it has any right to. I was thinking of upgrading the pots, but I'm not sure how much difference it would make as Wilkinson pickups are not noted for their electrical silence - the ones I put on my Squier Strat are running through good pots, but a noise gate is still a nice to have ;)

I have seen some comments denigrating the honey burst as being too light, but that's just a personal taste thing. This is what mine looks like:

HB 450L Vintage-K20D2828.jpg by Hinfrance, on Flickr

Just noticed it's the guitar in my icon too  :tup:

Mick

Quote from: Hinfrance on June 22, 2014, 12:02:56 PM

Bargain certainly does describe this guitar. The pickups alone would cost more to buy than the whole thing.

True, it does make me wonder how on earth they can make them for that price.  What's missing.  :D

I know you had one or two teething problems (loose wires etc) with one or two of your HB guitars, but if I remember correctly these were sorted out very efficiently by Thomann.  So you still win all round.
Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Hinfrance

There was a dry joint on the 3 way switch - Thomann said it was OK for me to re-solder it and keep the warranty, so I did.

There is also a slight blemish on the shoulder and a bit of a wobbly finish on the fret banding. Like I care for that money.

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com