Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 327
  • Latest: Sucih
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,164
  • Total Topics: 1,631
  • Online today: 34
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 30
  • Total: 30
samash.com

Pickup Finishes

Started by DialtonePickups, June 08, 2014, 03:07:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DialtonePickups

I'm trying to get peoples' opinion on pickup finishes. My pickups are going to have machined aluminum bodies and knobs so there are endless finish options from anodizing, powder coating, and more traditional plating. Anyone have suggestions?

I'm trying to stay away from black since that seems more like EMG, but looking for something kinda distinctive.

John

Scarebear

I actually liked the look of the prototype white pickup. I saw those sitting in my white Omen 6 rather nicely. Otherwise from a design perspective I imagine black works well because it suits most/all guitar finishes. Obviously people love their chrome/gold finishes as well.

All things that are obvious. I still preferred white.
scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

DialtonePickups

Thanks for your feedback, Scarebear! I suspected you might say you liked white to go along with your white Schecter. :) For our PRS demo guitar, it definitely works. But by now our white & very porous 3d printed prototypes are more of a gray color, with all of the playing the demo guitar has gotten over the last week or so. :)

Any input on the finish?

- Tory, Dialtone Pickups

Mick

Is there a process for etching a design on to the aluminium / brass etc, so people could perhaps send in their own custom designs?  Would this be a good idea if it were possible?
Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

DialtonePickups

Mick - we've thought about that option. From a cost standpoint, my guess is that it's probably not possible for this first go-around, and from a logistical standpoint it'd probably be a little difficult to coordinate, but that's definitely the sort of thing we would like to explore in the future.

- Tory, Dialtone Pickups

Mick

Quote from: DialtonePickups on June 11, 2014, 07:05:16 AM
Mick - we've thought about that option. From a cost standpoint, my guess is that it's probably not possible for this first go-around, and from a logistical standpoint it'd probably be a little difficult to coordinate, but that's definitely the sort of thing we would like to explore in the future.

- Tory, Dialtone Pickups

Must admit, I wasn't sure about the costing, what with the advances in technology and all, this kind of process must be getting reachable to a wider audience, a bit like 3D printing.   I will assume you'll at least have a fancy DialTone logo on your finished bodies?
Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

bordelloguitars

Hi Tory... Very interesting concept you have, and its so great to be different!  :)   To add my opinion on finish, I know you mentioned that you were trying to stay away from black, but I quite like the Cosmo Black finish that Gotoh do on their hardware - not sure how they achieve that......

Mark
Individual electric guitars.  Crafted by hand in the UK.

DialtonePickups

Thanks Mark! We agree that a rich black could look really good. We're leaning towards anodizing to begin with, in which case we wouldn't be able to achieve that shade of black, but down the road it may be possible as we're able to expand finish options.

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com