Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,172
  • Total Topics: 1,635
  • Online today: 174
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 110
  • Total: 110
Guitar Center

Just saying howdy...

Started by Joom, May 13, 2014, 06:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joom

Go by Joom.  Just an old rocker from way back - though I enjoy most genres.

I don't play much anymore, but I still enjoy being involved in and around music production.  Also been known to write a few lyrics now and then.

Looks like a nice place to hang out...  :tup:
A computer once beat me at chess.  As it turns out, though, it was no match for me at kick boxing...

Mick

Hi Joom, you made it over then.  :tup: Great to see you over here, hope you like the place. 

Don't be afraid to link to your own site either via your signature or anywhere in your posts or profile.  That's what this place is all about, promoting yourself, your sites, your music etc.  Any problems, just shout.  ;)
Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

DaisyRockGuitars

Quote from: Joom on May 13, 2014, 06:18:59 PM
Go by Joom.  Just an old rocker from way back - though I enjoy most genres.

I don't play much anymore, but I still enjoy being involved in and around music production.  Also been known to write a few lyrics now and then.

Looks like a nice place to hang out...  :tup:

Hi there Joom

We are newbees too!

Why not check us out on Twitter and Facebok and join in the fun?  :D
Daisy Rock UK

Joom

Thanks Mick and DaisyRockGuitars, appreciate the welcome.  I'll be sure and look around...
A computer once beat me at chess.  As it turns out, though, it was no match for me at kick boxing...

Scarebear

You have some nice sounds on your SoundCloud site. Plus it's good to see what JOOM stands for :)
scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

Joom

Thanks, Scarebear.  Not sure if you're referring to the TTM ODC SoundCloud page, or my own.  If it's mine, that's about as good as it gets anymore.  As the name implies, I've been around the block a few times and things just don't work well anymore.  Can't play much now, and and other issues have made it......well.... let's say 'unlikely' that I'd end up hitting the right note at the right time while trying to sing. :P  Now I tend to lean more toward talking than singing.

These days I'm more into the writing and production, but I still crank one of my own out once in a while for old time's sake.  Kicks and grins, ya know.  And any music I do by myself (not a collaboration) is primarily loop and synth based (keyboard and Reason).  I've been writing since the late 60's when I used to manage a few local bands, and have always enjoyed that.

But if you're talking about the TTM ODC page, yes, there are always some good tunes there.  The ODC (Open DAW Challenge) is a monthly challenge we have where members come up with a song every month based on criteria set by the person (or collaboration) who won the challenge the month before.  Always fun, and always some good music there.

And yeah, somebody abbreviated the name in a post quite a few years ago, and it just stuck.  Easier to write, too. ;)

AtrumKithara

Hi Joom.I think I am getting to be an old rocker myself these days. The kids say I am ancient and I find that I just don't understand or appreciate the popular music of the youth of today. :-\ That isn't to say that I am stuck in the past though. I think there is a lot of great new stuff out there, even some here on this forum. I will check out your stuff when I am on a proper listening device.
www.atrumarte.com  - Unique instruments for unique musicians.

Joom

Hi AtrumKithara,

I actually started out back in the day listening to the Grand Ole Opry on the radio with the folks, so I've always enjoyed the older country (up through the 70's anyway).  But, Chuck, Jerry Lee, Little Richard, Chubby, Elvis, etc. got me into rock and roll.  And when the 60's style rock hit I was really hooked.

Basically, I enjoy almost any kind of music with a few exceptions.  As you said, some of what I call the 'newer' stuff just isn't for me.  I couldn't get into most of the Disco back then, and more currently can't really get into Rap and/or Hip Hop.  I did (and still) like a lot of the earlier heavy metal, and a lot of the hair band work from the 80's.

Guess I'll always be more of a classic (as in older) music fan, but every once in a while I do hear something current that I enjoy listening to.  Like you, I'm not stuck in the past, but it's probably where I spend most of my time.  I've been listening to some of the work posted here and have enjoyed it all - some more than others.  But that's true anywhere, including over at my place.  Just what you're into, I guess.

I don't have anywhere close to all my work on SoundCloud, just a page with a selection that has a particular theme.  Most of the songs there are ones that were done lately while I've been in the "really getting old" mood, and it shows by the lyrics.  One of these days I'll post up some things with a little more kick.  The one exception on this page is a little thing I did for one of our challenges a month or two ago.  The challenge was to come up with a song based on what a picture made you think of - the picture was of a couple kids in cowboy outfits 50's style.  That's where the song "Okay Mom" came from.

Anyway, this is the only thing I currently have posted on a song site:

https://soundcloud.com/justoneoldman

The other hundred or two are scattered around the hard drive or the forums.  And I'm looking forward to hearing more of your work... ;)

Scarebear

Quote from: Joom on May 16, 2014, 11:45:04 PM
https://soundcloud.com/justoneoldman

That's the page I was referring to (the one in your profile). I like the music there.
scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

Joom

Thanks, Scarebear, appreciate it.  The reason I wasn't sure is because I don't remember putting a link to that page anywhere, but I must have.  Senility, most likely... :D

AtrumKithara

That's some good music on your Soundcloud. I like your style.
www.atrumarte.com  - Unique instruments for unique musicians.

Joom

Thanks AtrumKithara, appreciate it.  Actually not my normal style, though.  I love the old country styles, and it fits this type of theme, but I'm generally more into classic rock when coming up with new material.  Once in a while, though, I wax a little nostalgic or think about the 'getting old' thing and lyrics happen. These were a collection of those from the last couple years, with the exception of "Okay Mom" which was just a fun thing and "I Love You To Pieces", which is about 10-11 years old.

Generally, I write one of two ways - I sit back with a coffee and a thought comes to mind, or I hear a tune someone is working on and lyrics just happen.

Wish I could still sing well enough to do them justice, but vocal problems over the years inhibits real singing.  Most of them I farm out to better vocalists.

Thanks for the listen...

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com