Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,173
  • Total Topics: 1,635
  • Online today: 303
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 131
  • Total: 132
  • Mick
samash.com

Epi LP Standard

Started by Mick, April 30, 2014, 08:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

If you were going to buy a Epiphone Les Paul Standard, would you go for the,

"Epiphone Les Paul Standard" ?

Features/Specifications:

Body & Bridge
•Body Material: Mahogany
•Finish: Ebony
•Bridge: Locking Tune-O-Matic
•Tailpiece: Stopbar

Neck & Fingerboard
•Neck: Mahogany, set
•Scale: 24.75 inch
•Nut Width: 1.68 inch
•Fretboard: Rosewood
•Fretboard Inlay: Trapezoid

Pickups & Hardware
•Neck Pickup: Alnico Humbucker
•Bridge Pickup: Alnico Classic Humbucker
•Machine Heads: Grover
•Hardware: Chrome

Or would you spend (about £80.00 more) and go for a, "Epiphone Les Paul Standard PlusTop PRO" ?

Features and Specifications

Body & Bridge
• Body: Mahogany
•Top:  AAA Flame Maple
•Bridge:  Locking Tune-o-matic™
•Tailpiece:  Stopbar
•Binding Body:  1 ply
•Binding Neck:  1 ply
•Finish:  Vintage Sunburst

Neck & Fingerboard
• Neck:  Mahogany
•Neck Joint:  Hand-Set
•Fingerboard:  Rosewood
•Fingerboard Inlay:  Trapezoid
•Radius:  12"
•Frets:  22 medium jumbo
•Scale Length:  24.75"
•Nut width:  1.68"

Pickups & Hardware
•Pickups:  ProBucker-2™
•Bridge Pickup:  ProBucker-3™
•Controls:  Neck pickup w/ Push-Pull CoilTapping, Bridge Pickup w/ Push-Pull CoilTapping, Neck pickup tone, Bridge pickup tone
•Machine Heads:  Grover 14:1

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plustop-PRO-Electric-Guitar/24193681

Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

AtrumKithara

As far as looks go, I don't really like the lemony burst.  I like it lighter at the edges and a tad bit warmer in the center.  That would be purely a personal thing though.

Is there maple under the black like a Gibson Les Paul Standard, or is it just solid mahogany?  Could make a bit a difference in tone if you want the traditional LP sound.

The electronics are fancier on the Pro, but likely still sub-par and if they are going to be replaced soon, not really worth paying extra for.  I would say if you like the way the black one looks, use the £80.00 difference towards upgrading the electronics.

What does it mean on the Plus Top Pro that the neck is "Hand Set Mahogany"???  I think all set necks are glued in by hand.  One of the few processes that would be tough to automate.

I believe it really comes down to a matter of which one you think looks better, otherwise they are similar.  Of course playing each of them could make a big difference in which to go with.
www.atrumarte.com  - Unique instruments for unique musicians.

Scarebear

I prefer the look of the black one (naturally). I'm not sure how different the pickups are, but the coil tapping is a cool feature. I bought an Epiphone Les Paul Tribute (back in 2010) and it came with Gibson pickups and wiring. That's why I chose it. It also has the coil tapped pickups so the guitar is more versatile.

Do you have the opportunity to play them both through your own amp or an amp similar to your own? You may find that you like the feel of one over the other.
scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

AtrumKithara

Just looked up the Probucker pickup and Epiphone says it is basically made just like the Gibson Burstbucker (which is an attempt at recreating the original PAF), same specs and materials, only the Probucker has a four conductor wiring so it can be split.  Epiphone also claims that the pots are better quality now, full size instead of the cheap mini's that they and most other manufacturers started using.

On the downside if you want to mod it, they use their proprietary quick connect, which although I haven't seen it, possibly makes for more work to add in anything that is not part of that system.  But if it sounds good with those pickups and the pots last, then that should not be a worry and even if they do need changing, I am sure you can still clip the connectors and find a wiring diagram online.
www.atrumarte.com  - Unique instruments for unique musicians.

Hinfrance

As you guys know, I have an Epi Prophesy, which does have Gibson pickups, 490R and 498T, with coil tapping.

I'm pretty much a novice, but it sounds fine to me. But then again so does my much more poorly built Harley Benton 450 Plus, with its Wilkinson humbuckers (although they are a lot noisier 'at rest')

I would go for the more expensive of the two - generally you do get what you pay for.

Scarebear

Quote from: Hinfrance on May 02, 2014, 09:05:39 AM
I'm pretty much a novice, but it sounds fine to me. But then again so does my much more poorly built Harley Benton 450 Plus, with its Wilkinson humbuckers (although they are a lot noisier 'at rest')

Without trying to sidetrack this thread, I have a Wilkinson humbucker in my Notcaster and it's pretty impressive for its price. It's way better than the no-name pickup that was in the guitar before I swapped over. I guess it does show though that the pickups are important and make a huge difference. I'm not sure that the difference between standard Epiphone pickups and standard Gibson pickups is as great, but it's certainly worth considering when spending serious cash on a guitar.
scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com