Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,173
  • Total Topics: 1,635
  • Online today: 303
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 117
  • Total: 117
  • Google
samash.com

The quest for my first tube amplifier head

Started by Scarebear, April 30, 2014, 12:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarebear

Apologies if I've mentioned this already on this forum, but I thought I'd share the article series I'm working on this year as I attempt to find what could be my first ever tube amplifier head (I'm currently a solid-state man). I've just written my 18th article in the series (a nice looking little amplifier by Mooer). That's 18 different heads to date by 18 different amplifier manufacturers. If all goes to plan, by the end of the year I'd have located and written about 52 different amplifier manufacturers (with an entry level model for the likes of me).

You'll always see the entire article list here. Enjoy!
scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

AtrumKithara

I would like a tube amp, partly just because they are easier to fix.  I have three solid state amps currently: A keyboard amp for my keyboard which works ok for that purpose, a Rocktron 50 watt model from the nineties, very heavy gain and lots of volume when it worked normally.  Now it only works when it is open and I poke the pc board with a chopstick (amp repair guy said it probably costs more to fix it than I paid for it), and a Fender Starfire amp someone (who had good intentions, but no clue about guitars) gave me as a gift which worked twice before starting to cut out.

Plus I like the way you can overdrive the tubes and the way a tube amp sounds.  Of course it does mean having to replace the tubes every so often when they burn out, but people say you have to replace guitar strings too... we shall see.

I would like to get a nice entry level tube amp and I will be looking forward to seeing your reviews throughout the year.
www.atrumarte.com  - Unique instruments for unique musicians.

Scarebear

Quote from: AtrumKithara on May 01, 2014, 04:11:43 AM
but people say you have to replace guitar strings too... we shall see.

That's gold :)

I hope you enjoy the series. I came close to purchasing a Blackstar not long after writing my article about that amp. I was outbid on eBay in the dying seconds. Maybe that's a good thing though. Who knows what I'll discover later this year.

Scarebear

I've just written the week 19 article. Dr. J Pedal Lover 3.5 watt head. Dr. J is a sub-brand of JOYO. I'm not sure if anybody here has a JOYO pedal, but they're pretty sturdy for the prices you can get them on eBay. I wonder if they make good budget amps as well ...

Scarebear

I had to share this week's article because I want this amp so bad! The Peavey ValveKing Micro-head. This looks and sounds like it's a sexy amplifier. I don't suppose anybody here has one or knows someone who has one? I'd love to hear an unbiased opinion on this amplifier from someone who knows.

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com