Users: 1
Guests: 20
Total: 24
Joom
Google (Image) (2)
Baidu
tomtop
VigLink badge

Author Topic: Your local Music Store  (Read 6070 times)

Offline Mick

• Administrator
  • Site Owner
    • guitarist-guild
    • View Profile
    • Guitarist Guild
Your local Music Store
« on: April 21, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »
Do you use a local music shop for purchasing your gear, or do you do most of it online.

Does your local shop also have a website, where you can purchase or order online.  I've just been checking out my local shop, it's about nine miles away from, but looking at their website would put me off using them at all to be honest, it never used to be like this.  Nearly everything is either sold out, or on order, and the search function just doesn't work.  ???

In reality I will still walk in and buy from them, as they are a really great bunch of guys, really helpful, and will spend the time with you to discuss your needs.  I even advertise them on here for that very reason.  But they really do need to keep up with the web side of things though, it's a complete let down compared to other gear sites out there.

Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

Camera Craniums
Guitarist Guild

Offline Scarebear

• Terrible guitar player and proud of it.
    • scarysounds
    • View Profile
    • scarebear.org
Re: Your local Music Store
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 12:51:26 PM »
I almost always buy online now. I research online and I purchase online. My local stores have had too many years of poor service and overdone attitude. I don't purchase gear to be ridiculed. Plus I almost always get it cheaper (delivery included) cheaper than I can buy it in store.
scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

Offline Mick

• Administrator
  • Site Owner
    • guitarist-guild
    • View Profile
    • Guitarist Guild
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 01:00:48 PM »
I almost always buy online now. I research online and I purchase online. My local stores have had too many years of poor service and overdone attitude. I don't purchase gear to be ridiculed. Plus I almost always get it cheaper (delivery included) cheaper than I can buy it in store.

Thanks.  But don't you like the touchy feely bit when buying gear?  Actually trying it out, and possibly taking it home with you there and then.  I hate waiting.  :D

Camera Craniums
Guitarist Guild

Offline Scarebear

• scarysounds
    • View Profile
    • scarebear.org
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 01:03:56 PM »
Thanks.  But don't you like the touchy feely bit when buying gear?  Actually trying it out, and possibly taking it home with you there and then.  I hate waiting.  :D

Sometimes I have gone to a store, tried gear and been so put off by the staff rudeness that I've then gone home and ordered online. Now I don't care. I'm happy to research online and then just sit and wait for my personal gear to be delivered to me. Unboxing adds a new element to the new gear purchase as well ;)

Offline Mick

• Administrator
  • Site Owner
    • guitarist-guild
    • View Profile
    • Guitarist Guild
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 01:17:51 PM »
I can relate to the rudeness thing.  I remember back a lot of years going into a shop in town, the guy was so rude and unhelpful, that I'm surprised he sold anything at all.  Shop's gone now, unsurprisingly.

The sad thing though, a lot of people try in store, and then buy online from someone else to get it cheaper. So the shop has the overheads, wages, and does all the hard work, then the person goes elsewhere to purchase.  The shops will close which I find really sad.

There's also the point about walking back into the shop with said items should they develop a fault, and east you can talk to someone, get your money back, or an exchange.  You can't always do this so conveniently online.   

Camera Craniums
Guitarist Guild

Offline Scarebear

• scarysounds
    • View Profile
    • scarebear.org
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 01:33:26 PM »
The sad thing though, a lot of people try in store, and then buy online from someone else to get it cheaper. So the shop has the overheads, wages, and does all the hard work, then the person goes elsewhere to purchase.  The shops will close which I find really sad.

I totally agree there. The sad thing for me is I once managed to find a store that had great staff and reasonable prices. They weren't the cheapest, but they were fair and did allow me to purchase after trialing the gear. I bought three of my current guitars there. Unfortunately they closed down and there is nothing I've been able to find that has the same range and service. If I could find that, I'd buy that way again. I just don't see it happening.

Offline Neutronic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 12:07:19 AM »
Even though I enjoy brick and mortar music stores, the advantages online shopping brings to the table are very hard to beat. I have bought a lot of stuff online - from picks to guitars - with almost zero hiccups. More than that, online retailers are constantly stepping up their game and coming up with new ways to improve their service. The only major advantage local music shops have is real face to face human interaction. Some of them seem to realize that and that's why they stay in the business.

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 02:42:49 PM »
My local music shop is OK for instrument prices - a little higher than the web, but worth it for the interaction with the owner. His prices for consumables like strings, are, however, heroic, so although I would like to buy those sorts of things from him online is the only realistic choice.

As you know I tend to use Thomann a fair bit and find them straightforward to deal with. I've had a couple of duff items, either damaged in the post or just plain not put together properly, but they pay the return postage and replace stuff without any hassle.

Offline AtrumKithara

• View Profile
    • Atrum Kithara
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 09:25:17 PM »
I have had a range of different experiences with music stores.  Some of them were great and some even gave great deals. Most others have been so rude that I vowed never to shop there again.  It confuses me how you can be a music store worker or owner and be so rude to customers.  Some of them seem to hate what they do, yet it is not a job you do for the money, so why are they there?   I know there are a lot of stupid people they have to deal with, I have a lot of retail experience myself and so I have experience in that area, but that doesn't excuse the attitude and behavior exhibited by so many music store employees.

I miss one of the music stores I used to live near, the guy was always super friendly and we would just hang out and talk, he gave great deals and was just really nice to everyone.  I have been shopping my guitars around recently and see that there are still some good places out there (which is a requirement to me, I have standards for where I will sell them).  I don't mind spending an extra dollar or two to help out a local store and in turn help out the local music scene (which most stores help contribute to).  But there are times I do end up buying stuff online too because some things are so much cheaper online or just not available locally.

When it comes to buying an instrument, I will definitely need to try it in person before buying and I don't want to sell one to someone without them trying it either.  No two instruments are exactly the same and even when they are made the same, by a machine, from the same materials, there can still be differences enough to be a deal breaker to some people.  I have seen forums discussing the wide variations of a single model in size, weight and tone just in a single line of factory guitars made to a specific spec.  With mine, they are handmade so they are all very different.  Others may not be so picky but for me I need to play it and compare it to a lot of others, even ones I don't think I would like, just to get a good feel.
www.atrumkithara.com  - Unique instruments for unique musicians.

Offline Scarebear

• scarysounds
    • View Profile
    • scarebear.org
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 10:39:59 AM »
I miss one of the music stores I used to live near, the guy was always super friendly and we would just hang out and talk, he gave great deals and was just really nice to everyone. 

I used to have a local store exactly like that. I bought my first two guitars from him. When he sold the business the new owner was a lot less friendly and I never shopped there again. Sad.

When it comes to buying an instrument, I will definitely need to try it in person before buying and I don't want to sell one to someone without them trying it either.  No two instruments are exactly the same and even when they are made the same, by a machine, from the same materials, there can still be differences enough to be a deal breaker to some people.  I have seen forums discussing the wide variations of a single model in size, weight and tone just in a single line of factory guitars made to a specific spec.  With mine, they are handmade so they are all very different.  Others may not be so picky but for me I need to play it and compare it to a lot of others, even ones I don't think I would like, just to get a good feel.

I've purchased online and had mixed results. My last purchase (from Moniker Guitars) I am incredibly happy with. Being able to design the guitar myself helped.  I have also purchased very cheap guitars from eBay for my children though. They were ... Well, you get what you pay for. My problem is that there are so many boutique guitar options that I can't test in person. Sometimes I think you need to take the plunge (if a boutique guitar build interests you).

Having said that, the day I spent driving from one guitar shop to another testing guitars before purchasing the one that felt and sounded the best to me was one of the best days of my life. So many guitars that day! :)

I obviously want it all ;)

Offline AtrumKithara

• View Profile
    • Atrum Kithara
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 04:17:19 PM »
I've purchased online and had mixed results. My last purchase (from Moniker Guitars) I am incredibly happy with. Being able to design the guitar myself helped.  I have also purchased very cheap guitars from eBay for my children though. They were ... Well, you get what you pay for. My problem is that there are so many boutique guitar options that I can't test in person. Sometimes I think you need to take the plunge (if a boutique guitar build interests you).

Glad to hear that your guitar from Moniker guitars came out good.  Ebay... I have bought a generic mandolin that I was happy with for the price, just to say I have one and mess with it.  I bought an Asian instrument for a friend that we couldn't find locally, we ended up with a decoration because it was terrible (but it was also inexpensive).

I used to sell custom rugs and furniture for years and I remember all the angry customers expressing loudly how it wasn't what they ordered or how they expected it would be, and didn't want it anymore even though it was exactly what they chose.  The majority of people were very happy with their purchase.

If someone told me they really like a certain guitar I made, but they wanted this or that option, I would definitely give it a try, but I would still prefer them to try it before committing, at least at this point since I don't have any reputation yet and don't want to start with a bad one.

One of the great (or terrible, depending on my financial state) things to me about going to a music store is finding things that I haven't seen before or trying things out that I have only seen online, whether it is new or just a cheap piece of old gear.

People ask why I have so much music stuff.  My response... It's nothing compared to all the stuff I want.
www.atrumkithara.com  - Unique instruments for unique musicians.

Offline Scarebear

• scarysounds
    • View Profile
    • scarebear.org
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 08:48:11 PM »
People ask why I have so much music stuff.  My response... It's nothing compared to all the stuff I want.

Just letting you know, I'm stealing that phrase  ;D