Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,172
  • Total Topics: 1,635
  • Online today: 132
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 82
  • Total: 82
samash.com

Anyone use headphones?

Started by Mick, April 12, 2014, 06:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

When practicing your guitar skills at home, do any of you actually use the headphone socket on your amps.  I'm not a lover of headphones to be honest, although you do get a full rich sound from them, I can't stand that cable dragging all over the place.  Spose a set of cordless ones would eliminate that problem, but they're quite pricey.   

This leads me to my next question.  Anyone used cordless headphones, and do the batteries last, and can you replace the batteries when they die.

I also find when wearing these things, my spatial awareness goes out the window, which can be dangerous for anyone, or anything around me.  :D
Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Scarebear

With an amplifier I prefer to just sit in front of the speaker/s. I do use headphones for iOS playing and recording though. I just make sure the cable is going behind my neck and back so it doesn't interfere with what I'm playing/ doing on the guitar.

I do have cordless headphones, but the set I have is not as good as the connected set I use the most. Battery life would be long enough for a good session on guitar (I can easily watch a movie with them for example ;))
scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

Hinfrance

Hi Mick,

Good question.

Two part answer.

A) I prefer to listen to the output from speakers. It just sounds more 'real' from a large driver - possibly because of the amount of air moving, the harmonics and reflections from the room, the vibrations in your bones (if you can play that loud on occasion . . ). I always play the bass through speakers, either in the stack in the basement - rarely - or more often through the Hartke combo in the 'music room'.

B) As SWMBO is frequently hanging around the place and claims to have sensitive ears I do have to resort to headphones a lot of the time. I have a pair of wireless ones from Lidl. Cost â,¬39.95 I think. They are rechargeable and I have never used the optional AA battery holder, relying on the built in battery. I tend to play for about half and hour to forty five minutes are a time before putting them back on the cradle to charge.

You're right, wired headphones are not convenient really, but I do use them when recording.

AtrumKithara

Having been an apartment dweller for a long time, I have learned to live with headphones as a necessity.  For me it is to keep from annoying others in the apartment and to block out their sounds, T.V., music, etc.  I had a nice set of sound cancelling headphones with a really long cord that were wonderful except for the fact that they fit too tight on my head and ended up breaking at the hinge in the middle.  I could really get lost in the music.

I suppose I should mention I also don't currently have an amp setup as an option in the apartment either.  I play through a POD XT into a mixer and through the computer speakers or headphones... Plan to get a bigger place, set up a studio/office room and get some decent monitors to hook up to the mixer and a nice little tube amp for practicing eventually.  There is really something to be said for playing through a decent amp even if it is quietly.
www.atrumarte.com  - Unique instruments for unique musicians.

Scarebear

Quote from: AtrumKithara on April 14, 2014, 06:10:03 PM
There is really something to be said for playing through a decent amp even if it is quietly.

Absolutely! Of my two amps, the tone I get from my Fender (with volume on 1) is miles ahead of anything else I've owned (at any volume and/or with any pedal in front of it).

You raised another good point though. If you need to cancel out background noise (we can't all have a studio room) then headphones can be very advantageous.
scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com