Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,173
  • Total Topics: 1,635
  • Online today: 303
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 242
  • Total: 242
Gear4Music

Home Practice Amps?

Started by Mick, April 12, 2014, 06:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

What amp do you use for practicing at home?  I'd especially ask this to you metal heads out there, who like to get a really (cranked up) driven sound at low (living room) volume.  I see on a lot of forums, the Yamaha THR is recommended quite a lot, but what do you use at home?
Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Scarebear

I only have solid state at the moment. I have a Fender FM65R (mighty loud) and a Marshall 15 watt micro stack. I'd say the tone is best on the Fender even at low volumes. But I rely on my pedalboard a lot for true distortion (full metal variety). I hope to change that at the end of the year once I've finalised my search for the best low wattage valve head (for my needs).
scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

Hinfrance

Quote from: Mick on April 12, 2014, 06:33:13 AM
What amp do you use for practicing at home?  I'd especially ask this to you metal heads out there, who like to get a really (cranked up) driven sound at low (living room) volume.  I see on a lot of forums, the Yamaha THR is recommended quite a lot, but what do you use at home?

Bite the bullet Mick, just buy the Yamaha - you've been banging on about them for long enough!

I've got two guitar amps, both realistically only for practice as I never play to an audience these days. I also have a bass combo for the same duties.

The guitar amps are the Fender Mustang 3 ( I was going to get a 2, but they were out of stock) and a second hand Roland Cube 60. The latter has a stunning clean sound, the former is really really loud for what it is. I get the driven sounds at lower volume using my Zoom pedals.

The bass amp is a Hartke A100. I did have a smaller wattage combo with as  12 inch driver, but, especially at lower volumes, a larger driver seems to be necessary for a decent lower end response.

Mick

H, I know m8, but the Yamaha is pretty expensive for what it is to be honest, but if I had money to burn, then I'd probably get one.  I'd rather by something a bit more universal volume wise, as I would like to crank things up when there's no one else about.

Still toying with the Mustang idea at the moment tbh, though I wouldn't need the 100w version.  or maybe a small tube modelling amp of some kind.  That all said, it won't be for a few months when I'll start my buying spree.  I expect all the gear will have changed by then.  ;)

Will be looking for a half decent guitar, a LP copy of some kind, a Amp for home use only, and perhaps a decent multi effects pedal.
Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Hinfrance

Don't know what your budget is Mick, but how about one of THESE?

I've been toying with the idea, but then I'd have to get rid of the Roland, and it's a very nice little amplifier. And I'd be spending more money. The Cube 60 has been replaced by THIS.

But there is a lot of choice, with modelling amps from Peavey, Vox, Fender, Line 6, Roland and Laney to name but a few. That sounds like it could be hours in the music shop trying them all out.  :tup:

As for the guitar, then I would have no hesitation in recommending the HB L450 Plus. It looks and more importantly, sounds, far better than it has any right to at that price. It comes in different colours too . . .

That said, I am very happy that I pushed the boat out and got the Epiphone Prophesy GX last year. It's the guitar I play the most - just love that 2 octave neck amongst everything else about it.*

Pedals - they all seem to do so much so well it has got to be down to personal preference. I reckon any of them would do, as long as the case is metal for durability.

* Crikey - just looked at the current price  ::) I think mine must have been on special or something - I couldn't afford one now!

Scarebear

If I was looking for another multi-effects unit I'd probably get the BOSS ME-80. Have you seen the video of Josh Munday playing a series of different tones on one guitar with no amplifier using the ME-80? Check it out.

In regards to home/practice amps, one article I wrote recently on the THD Univalve may interest you. One small amplifier head that you can (apparently) swap tubes in easily without the need to re-bias your amp. You could amass quite the tube collection ;)
scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

Hinfrance

That Boss is very impressive - and not that cheap. :(

I quite like the Zoom I bought a while back - demo vid HERE.

Strangely it doesn't sound quite as good when I'm playing . . . I wonder why that can be he says looking at his fat hands . . .  but the MS Crunch preset with the new hot Wilkinson pickups in the Strat sounds pretty impressive. Well, I like it anyway  :tup:

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com