Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,191
  • Total Topics: 1,647
  • Online today: 178
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 56
  • Total: 56
Gear4Music

Childhood (love for guitar)

Started by FollowingMyDreams, April 05, 2014, 10:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FollowingMyDreams

Growing up I remember listening to a lot of pink Floyd and Neil young , I remember being about 8 and  used to love singing along  to farmer john  by neil young & crazy horse  lol  , well anyway I think that was when my love for the guitar started  it has taken me another 20odd years to do something about it but better late than never right ?  ;)
Out of curiosity what started your love for guitar and how old were you ?

Scarebear

I remember hearing Van Halen and Eruption for the first time and thinking "Wow!"

But for me, hearing Black Sabbath's early material and then Metallica's early material made me want to be a guitarist. I've always been drawn towards the rhythm side of things. Which is good. My lead guitar skills are terrible :)
scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

Guitarglasgow

There's VHS home video which my mum holds over my head somewhere. It features me, aged two. In a nappy. Doing my own dance routines to Status Quo. My early years also featured The Police, Queen, Dylan and mum constantly singing everything. She always pushed, encouraged and sometimes bullied me to play! (Don't misunderstand that, I needed it!)

I always loved being able to make noise, and although I never found the guitar as easy as drums I love melody and wanted to be able to create it.

Aged 13 I hear Metallica's Master Of Puppets for the first time and that is my earliest memory of sitting listening to something going "holy crap, holy crap holycrap!!". I had Battery on repeat for a week as I was sure the rest of the album couldn't be as good and I would be disappointed. That was also the year I got my first electric.

aldridgeg

Mine?

I grew up hearing my dad and his mates sat around our kitchen table, just playing and singing songs. They always seemed to be having so much fun, just kicking back and playing for pleasure.

If he didn't play guitar, I don't think I'd even be here; he met Mum back in the 50s playing in a skiffle group (he even taught Albert Lee some stuff back in the early days. Albert bloody Lee!)

I remember him teaching me the melody to 'It Ain't Necessarily So' in a caravan one rainy night when I was about 8/9. Hooked, never looked back.

Dad's 83 now, I still love seeing him play occasionally.

Hinfrance

I only started playing 6 string about 18 months ago. I thought it was about time I had a proper stab at it.  :legit:

But bass, I have been playing for 45 years. It started at a club my father used to take me to on a Sunday morning. They had a musicians' open house where the local, mainly jazz, players would come to jam and have a few pints. My father could play piano, trumpet and clarinet, although we had no instruments in our house. He would sometimes join in on the piano (easy to play son, just pressing switches on and off). Looking back, the casual and happy atmosphere in the back room bar was relaxing and invigorating all at once. Amongst the various players there was a trio of double bass and two violins, the violin players being twin sisters in their 70's. They were amazing; their joy in the music was infectious. It was fast 1930's style jazz - none of the navel gazing rubbish that was to follow from the 60s on.

There was no way a (just) teenage boy was going to learn a girlie instrument like the violin, so I started with the double bass. At first it was the school orchestra, then the regional schools' orchestra, then a local folk group, then a school avant garde jazz ensemble . . then one day I was asked to sub for a local rock band. I had by this time already gone for an electric bass (do you know how heavy a double bass is? And you can't carry it on your bike), and duly turned up. I loved the volume, the pace, the rhythms. And being on a bigger stage with flashing lights and a smoke machine. That hooked me on rock and it's pretty much all I have played since.

Such fun!

FollowingMyDreams

Thanks for sharing guys  :). I love listening to peoples fond memories and there def is some lovely ones there  :tup:

AtrumKithara

My dad had a guitar and would jam with some of his friends when I was young.  I never really paid attention to it, picked it up once or twice and couldn't figure it out, and was too scared I might break it or something.

In junior high, the high school rock band come play at our school and I thought it would be awesome to play drums and got interested in being in a band... That was the last year the high school had anything like that and my parents definitely were not getting me a drum set.  So then I decided maybe bass...

I talked to my dad about getting a bass and he said to start on his guitar to learn the notes until I had money to get one and he taught me a couple of open chords and notes.  Then I found a Metallica tab at the music store while looking at basses (this was before an internet connection was a regular household thing).  It was all downhill from there.

Eventually I plan to learn how to play decently, but right now I still enjoy making noise with them and building them.
www.atrumarte.com  - Unique instruments for unique musicians.

Scarebear

Quote from: AtrumKithara on April 08, 2014, 10:10:26 PM
Eventually I plan to learn how to play decently, but right now I still enjoy making noise with them and building them.

We're very alike it seems :)

This is easily my favourite thread on this forum. It's great to read about what first brought about that passion for guitar.
scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

aldridgeg

I'll drink to that Scarebear!
Was feeling quite nostalgic as I wrote mine.
Happy memories.

Quote from: Scarebear on April 09, 2014, 11:14:27 AM
Quote from: AtrumKithara on April 08, 2014, 10:10:26 PM

We're very alike it seems :)

This is easily my favourite thread on this forum. It's great to read about what first brought about that passion for guitar.

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com