Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,191
  • Total Topics: 1,647
  • Online today: 173
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 165
  • Total: 165
Gear4Music

Blackstar

Started by GuitarStarTV, April 01, 2014, 06:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuitarStarTV

Going to get one of these to use for home practice! Anyone used 1 before? Just want to say they have a great sound. & are more versatile than many think as most see them as just a metal amp with tons of gain but I tried 1 in the chop. & they have amazing clean tones as well as a cool crunchy overdrive sound too. Would definitely recommend these!
Check out my pages @
www.facebook.com/TVGuitarstar
www.youtube.com/TVGuitarstar
www.twitter.com/guitarstar_TV
www.instagram.com/guitarstartv

Hinfrance

I'm sure they are very lovely things.

I was thinking of getting small Bugera (V22) to start out with valve sounds. But then I remembered I haven't really stretched my understanding of the modelling on my Mustang 3 or Zoom G3X, so I shall be holding off for a while.

Scarebear

I've used the 1 watt head Blackstar through a Blackstar single speaker cabinet. I loved it. I hope to get one this year. Unless I find something better ;)

I'm writing about a potential different amp head each week this year (on my website) so that at the end of the year I have 52 options :)
scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

GuitarStarTV

Quote from: Scarebear on April 02, 2014, 04:51:09 AM
I've used the 1 watt head Blackstar through a Blackstar single speaker cabinet. I loved it. I hope to get one this year. Unless I find something better ;)

I'm writing about a potential different amp head each week this year (on my website) so that at the end of the year I have 52 options :)

Yep I loved the blackstar sound! Really full & great tone! Wow that will be a great place for people who are looking for a new head!
Check out my pages @

Scarebear

Quote from: GuitarStarTV on April 02, 2014, 07:26:19 AM
Wow that will be a great place for people who are looking for a new head!

Lucky I posted the latest article in the series tonight then! ;)
scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

Mick

Quote from: GuitarStarTV on April 01, 2014, 06:14:17 AM
Going to get one of these to use for home practice! Anyone used 1 before? Just want to say they have a great sound. & are more versatile than many think as most see them as just a metal amp with tons of gain but I tried 1 in the chop. & they have amazing clean tones as well as a cool crunchy overdrive sound too. Would definitely recommend these!

Can I ask, what Blackstar amp were you referring to?  Model / Series etc.

Been looking at the ID: series Blackstar heads and combo's, and although they are completely Valve free they sound amazing imo.  http://www.blackstaramps.com/products/idseries/

Or are you sticking to Valves?
Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

GuitarStarTV

Quote from: Mick on April 21, 2014, 12:05:09 PM
Quote from: GuitarStarTV on April 01, 2014, 06:14:17 AM

Can I ask, what Blackstar amp were you referring to?  Model / Series etc.

Been looking at the ID: series Blackstar heads and combo's, and although they are completely Valve free they sound amazing imo.  http://www.blackstaramps.com/products/idseries/

Or are you sticking to Valves?

Was looking at the HT series combo amp for home practice then was looking at separate head & can for gigs. Not sure about what state to get but think valves ultimately sound better but I've found that blackstar amps seem to produce great tone whatever amp at whatever power. That's what I really like about them!
Check out my pages @

Mick

Quote from: GuitarStarTV on April 21, 2014, 01:03:06 PM

Was looking at the HT series combo amp for home practice then was looking at separate head & can for gigs. Not sure about what state to get but think valves ultimately sound better but I've found that blackstar amps seem to produce great tone whatever amp at whatever power. That's what I really like about them!

I agree the Blackstar amp all sound nice.  I'm on the fence now though regarding the Valve amps, after hearing the ID: series with the TVP (True Valve Power) feature, I'm quite liking the sound of them.  I'm sure whatever option you go for will sound excellent.  ;)
Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

guitarfishbay

I've had a couple of Blackstar amps and I do enjoy them.  In general they cover quite a lot of ground and are very flexible.

I've had the HT1R combo, HT60 2x12 60 watt combo, briefly had a HT100 head (it was damaged in transit so was returned), and also had the S1 104EL34.  Cabwise I've had the HT212, the Artisan 2x12 cab and the S1412B.  Also, I used to have the HT Dual pedal.  Ok, so on reflection I've had quite a bit of Blackstar gear!

Overall the HT series is good value for money.  They sound darker and a bit more compressed than the EL34 S1 heads but they're capable of quite a few good sounds, are much cheaper, and seem to be built fairly well too.  My HT60 had a power valve go fairly soon after purchase but it was replaced under warranty and it was problem free for the rest of the time I owned it.  I like the reverb they put on the HT Series and I like that some models have switchable reverb voicing.  The emulated out can be quite nice if you'd prefer to work that way than use amp sims.  I only sold it to move up to the S1s, which are a different voicing altogether.

I've never tried the ID series, but they seem to get good reviews so far!

I've recorded a couple of clips with the HT 1R and HT 60.  These are fairly old but they might be useful to someone interested in the amps.  The HT1R can go quieter than the HT60 for home use and is a little easier to dial in at that volume (especially with so few knobs!) but I felt either sounded good for home use.

HT60 ambient dynamic mid gain stuff, all gain changes are pick dynamics (stock combo speakers used, mix of SM57 and Audix i5) - https://soundcloud.com/maxmoujaes/this-journey

HT60 rock riffs (Mesa Rectifier 2x12 used, SM57) - https://soundcloud.com/maxmoujaes/half-of-a-double

HT1R heavy riff (Mesa Rectifier 2x12 used, SM57) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR0ZAtwMAJE

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com