Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,190
  • Total Topics: 1,647
  • Online today: 84
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 46
  • Total: 46
Gear4Music

Worlds greatest

Started by GuitarStarTV, March 30, 2014, 07:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who's the greatest instrumental guitarist (sorry had to be done)

Joe Satriani
3 (60%)
Steve Vai
1 (20%)
Paul Gilbert
1 (20%)
Yngwie Malmsteen
0 (0%)
Eric Johnson
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: April 06, 2014, 07:03:12 AM

GuitarStarTV

So just for fun I've given you 5 great guitar players in my opinion. I know there are loads more but I've given you a good selection. Let me know your choice & why & we shall see who wears the crown!
Check out my pages @
www.facebook.com/TVGuitarstar
www.youtube.com/TVGuitarstar
www.twitter.com/guitarstar_TV
www.instagram.com/guitarstartv

Scarebear

I'd have chosen other if was an option :)

John 5 for my vote.
scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

GuitarStarTV

Quote from: Scarebear on March 30, 2014, 09:36:46 AM
I'd have chosen other if was an option :)

John 5 for my vote.
Yep there are so many greats! Had to be Joe for me as he was a huge inspiration for me to start playing guitar!
Check out my pages @

Hinfrance

For me it has to be Mr Gilbert from that list. As you say though, there are so many to choose from. For my money the best guitar player I have ever seen was the guy I played in a covers band with for a decade - Andy Draper. He was the most accomplished musician I have ever encountered. He could play anything back to you after hearing it only once. A modest chap who now doesn't play at all, shame.

As for the best I've ever seen was Mark Owers of Lionsheart, replaced by a former band mate of mine, Nick Burr, two shows into their first tour. Nick was bl**dy good too, mind you. Had a brother called Tim - a bit of a lapse in concentration by mum and dad. But I digress (no change there then . . . )

GuitarStarTV

Quote from: Hinfrance on March 30, 2014, 05:22:39 PM
For me it has to be Mr Gilbert from that list. As you say though, there are so many to choose from. For my money the best guitar player I have ever seen was the guy I played in a covers band with for a decade - Andy Draper. He was the most accomplished musician I have ever encountered. He could play anything back to you after hearing it only once. A modest chap who now doesn't play at all, shame.

As for the best I've ever seen was Mark Owers of Lionsheart, replaced by a former band mate of mine, Nick Burr, two shows into their first tour. Nick was bl**dy good too, mind you. Had a brother called Tim - a bit of a lapse in concentration by mum and dad. But I digress (no change there then . . . )
Paul Gilbert is a legend! He takes classical music & rocks the sh*t out of it!
Sounds like you've met some truly great musicians. There are so many undiscovered ones around too!
Check out my pages @

AtrumKithara

I would have chosen "other" too.  I would say Buckethead is one of the few famous straight instrumental guitarists I really like.  Rumor has it that he was a student of Steve Vai (and more far fetched ones that he is an alter ego of), so I voted for him.

Of course, I don't know how you would measure the "greatness" of a guitarist.  I do know there are a whole lot of really great guitarists that I have never heard of, but I find that I am always discovering new music.

In my opinion it takes more than just awesome technique to be great.  You have to have the feeling to make it awesome, to write the music that is more than just a wow, that guy can shred.  Youtube is full of kids that can shred just as well as many of the "greats" and maybe even better.
www.atrumarte.com  - Unique instruments for unique musicians.

GuitarStarTV

Quote from: AtrumKithara on March 31, 2014, 07:08:50 PM
I would have chosen "other" too.  I would say Buckethead is one of the few famous straight instrumental guitarists I really like.  Rumor has it that he was a student of Steve Vai (and more far fetched ones that he is an alter ego of), so I voted for him.

Of course, I don't know how you would measure the "greatness" of a guitarist.  I do know there are a whole lot of really great guitarists that I have never heard of, but I find that I am always discovering new music.

In my opinion it takes more than just awesome technique to be great.  You have to have the feeling to make it awesome, to write the music that is more than just a wow, that guy can shred.  Youtube is full of kids that can shred just as well as many of the "greats" and maybe even better.
I agree totally. Bucket head is amazing like so many others & it takes more than speed & fancy moves to be great. I think in my eyes to be a great guitarist you need to have soul & passion in what you play as well as creativity.
1 of the main reasons I set up my tutorial page on youtube was because I found that it's flooded with people copying others music, showing off when they are supposed to be teaching & just shoeing you fancy riffs rather than teaching you the art of the instrument.
That's exactly why I do my lessons very simply with no effects on a very small amp so people who have just started playing can actually learn something!
Check out my pages @

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com