Donner Music UK
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,210
  • Total Topics: 1,652
  • Online today: 72
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 82
  • Total: 82
Guitar Center

fingers

Started by FollowingMyDreams, March 27, 2014, 09:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FollowingMyDreams

Anyone got any tips for sore fingertips or is that something that just gets better the more you play? i have trouble keeping the pressure with my little finger too .  :o

Hinfrance

When your fingers get sore, lay off until they are healed, then start again. They will harden over time.

As for strength in your little finger, again it is all down to allowing time for your muscles to get used to what is being asked of them - practice and exercise.

There is a 'but' to the last bit though - it is a common mistake when you start to play to apply too much pressure to the strings to fret them. Guitars don't need heavy pressure - basses a little more, but it is the fret that does the job, and you don't have to press very hard to get the frets to work.

Scarebear

There are some good pointers in this blog post by Osiris Guitar. It has a speed focus (which appeals to me) but the concept applies to all guitar practice in my opinion.

Otherwise the advice Hinfrance gave you is spot on. There are those that come from the school of play until your fingers bleed, but I've never understood that one.
guitarfascination.com — my new home for all the articles, videos, and music I discover and create.

FollowingMyDreams

Thanks for the advice hinfrance I reckon you are probably right about applying too much pressure il try a bit softer and see if it helps :)
Thanks scare bear il check it out , don't like the sound of playing until my fingers bleed either lol :)

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com