Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,173
  • Total Topics: 1,635
  • Online today: 303
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 161
  • Total: 161
Guitar Center

New Strings vs Old, how much does it affect tone?

Started by Mick, November 12, 2016, 12:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

Do new guitar strings really make a big difference to the tone of your guitar? I mean I play at home for a hobby only, and rarely change strings until I break one.  So don't really notice any slow degradation of the tone.

Should I be changing them more often regardless of breakages?
Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Hinfrance

Here's what I do: when first one breaks I change the set. When I was gigging I bought a new set for my bass every few months, but the guitar players would change theirs far more often.

As a hobby player now I hardly ever change the strings on my basses, but they no longer get anything like the same beating they used to get. In order to keep the strings on both my guitars and basses in reasonable condition I always wipe them down carefully with a dry lint free cloth after every play - the salts in even a small amount of sweat will destroy the tone of strings in very short order.

Old and degraded strings sound very dull.

shannonrichards

Am I correct to assume that newer strings tend to get out of tune more than older one due to stretching?

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com