Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,173
  • Total Topics: 1,635
  • Online today: 303
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 80
  • Total: 81
  • Mick
Gear4Music

Commonwealth Amplification

Started by RyanR, March 09, 2014, 12:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanR

Hello everyone,

My name is Ryan and I have a very small garage business of building guitar amplifiers here in the United States.

I sometimes take on repair/recovery projects, but my main focus is on building my brand around the company's flagship product, the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Amp. 

For further information, I invite you all to hang out with me on Twitter. 
https://twitter.com/cmnwealth_amps

Or, Facebook.  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Commonwealth-Amplification/112767128931809

Thank yous

Mick

Hi Ryan, thanks for joining, and posting.   :tup:

Barrel amps, that's a interesting concept, don't think I've seen these before.  I'll check your site out for more info.

PS: You have a non working link to your facebook page.  oops, I see you fixed it. ;)
Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

RyanR

Thanks Mick,

Yes, I pretty much wanted a look to help me stand out and build the brand around.  Well, being as I am here in Kentucky, it was a choice among Fried Chicken, Racing Horses, and Bourbon... 

But all kidding aside, I wanted to make a fun amp, of high quality, to have around as a secret studio weapon.  Something to put down in the basement around the pool table for the odd man out to riff on, and to bring out to the front porch jam for adding some lead guitar to the mix of acoustics and whatnot.

Thank you for this really cool site.
Ryan

Mick

It's a neat idea, something really different to the norm.  Hope you do well with it.  Got any sound clips?

Quote from: RyanR on March 09, 2014, 01:25:21 PM

Thank you for this really cool site.

Ryan

You're very welcome.  I just wish others thought the same, I can't seem to give the adspace away.  You'd think people would jump at it.  Perhaps they think there's a catch, but there isn't.  ;) If you have any ideas on how to improve things around here, just shout, I'm all ears.
Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Scarebear

I love the look of the barrel amp. I already follow you on Twitter and hope to see more. Your amps look like the perfect kind of amp to include in my 52 Amplifiers series (gratuitous plug ;))
scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

RyanR

RyanR

Scarebear

That sounds great. All guitar parts are using the same amp? I notice a beautiful left/right guitar variation going on in that track. Nice song too actually :)

RyanR

It's my understanding that all electric guitar was through his barrel amp on this track.  I didn't press him too much for "studio secrets" but I asked him if there was any one track with barrel amp that I could promote, and he told me this one.  I know the chime, the bark, and the break up, so I am not surprised at the range... it's all in the single knob.   Although I do know he swapped tubes for a brand he is more familiar with.  In fact, because of working with Spencer, I have made the tube change as well.  Yes, I know a lot can be done in production, but he did choose to use the barrel amp on this as well as other guitar parts throughout that EP.  I know the brand of his other amp, and I'd say the barrel is in good company.  I'm extremely flattered.    :)

RyanR

Also, Scarebear, thanks for  listening :tup:

I'm fortunate to have these amps in some good hands right now.  These guys are awesome and show a real application to the tone produced.  I like it better than a typical stand alone amp demo vid.  It may not be wise to not do the typical demo vid, but I was advised by a trusted source to let the product speak for itself.   That people will make their own vids and tracks, so I need not put money into it.  I don't know, not saying one way is the better way.  I just like what I am doing, and creatively I think it's neat to put it in the artist and player's hands.o

Scarebear

I believe the advice you've been given is sound (that can mean two things when talking about amplifiers  ;)).

I know if I lived in the USA I'd seriously consider checking your barrel amps out. The price seems incredibly reasonable and what I saw and heard alone in the video by The End Men impressed me. As someone who likes to Blog about cool guitar related products though there's one thing I believe your website needs. More/better photographs. If you had that, Bloggers could use them in their promotional articles which benefits you.

I only mention that because I'd benefit from that :)

AtrumKithara

Cool looking and good sounding amps.  I like the sounds that are coming out of them too.  Thanks for sharing.
www.atrumarte.com  - Unique instruments for unique musicians.

RyanR

I definitely agree!   I do need better shots!  I'll implement a plan for the next one out.  Thanks for that feedback.  And yes, what I have found with pricing is that it is really competitive over here, so that drives everything down.  I priced it out with shipping to UK and I can still be right at a going rate for what a similar hand built single knob tube amp goes for locally.   I don't really plan on selling very much overseas, but it's not out of the question or an absurdity in any way.  I can wire and test at 240v no problem.

Scarebear

Quote from: RyanR on April 02, 2014, 11:49:11 PM
I priced it out with shipping to UK and I can still be right at a going rate for what a similar hand built single knob tube amp goes for locally.   I don't really plan on selling very much overseas, but it's not out of the question or an absurdity in any way.  I can wire and test at 240v no problem.

That's probably good for most of the forum users here. Me, I'm in Australia and our electricity is upside down ;)

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com