Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,191
  • Total Topics: 1,647
  • Online today: 262
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 47
  • Total: 47
Guitar Center

Guitar string gauges ?

Started by Mick, February 02, 2014, 03:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

So, if I read it correctly, you will get the same note from a thin gauge string as you will a thicker gauge string, but at a different tension. 

Anyone know the science behind this, and what effect it will have on the playability of your guitar??  And what is your preferred setup, and why.

Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Guitarglasgow

I am not sure about the science but I do know that after years of trying to get myself to play with thicker strings (metalhead) and bigger frets, I am more content with thinner and smaller. Nines in standard tuning. 

Mick

Thanks for the reply.  I don't think I've tried anything below 10-46 in the past.  I'm going to have to try a set of 9's and see how they feel.  Would you recommend Slinky's or some other brand?  I get confused with all the different types tbh.  :-[

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Guitarglasgow

I've always used EBs, never had enough of a problem with them to try anything more expensive!

Mick

Thanks, I'll give a set of EB super slinky 9-42's a try.  ;)

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Scarebear

I find that for some reason (I don't understand the science behind this either) that 9s feel right on a Floyd Rose bridge and 10s feel right on a fixed bridge. I've always used Ernie Ball or DiAdarrio. Recently I just bought some random sets to trial the difference. I've bought (not yet installed) some Ernie Ball Cobalts, Fender Pure Nickel, and DR Tite-Fits. I also bought some Elixir strings and they're awesome (I've already put these on one of my guitars). They feel great and should last longer (if they're anything like the acoustic versions I use).
scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

Hinfrance

Interesting thread.

I've got 10-46s on all of my six strings, all D'Addario. Except the acoustic which has 11s. I started off with 09s on the Squier Strat, but changed them a while back. I don't use the Floyd on that, because it's a low end guitar and I'd rather it stayed in tune.

The Elixir tip is worth a try.  ;) I'll get some next time I send an order off to Thomann.

Mick

Quote from: Scarebear on February 03, 2014, 03:46:38 AM
I find that for some reason (I don't understand the science behind this either) that 9s feel right on a Floyd Rose bridge and 10s feel right on a fixed bridge. I've always used Ernie Ball or DiAdarrio. Recently I just bought some random sets to trial the difference. I've bought (not yet installed) some Ernie Ball Cobalts, Fender Pure Nickel, and DR Tite-Fits. I also bought some Elixir strings and they're awesome (I've already put these on one of my guitars). They feel great and should last longer (if they're anything like the acoustic versions I use).

I'd be interested in hearing how the Ernie Ball Cobalts work out, was thinking of trying some.  ;)

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Scarebear

Quote from: Mick on February 05, 2014, 06:01:56 PM
I'd be interested in hearing how the Ernie Ball Cobalts work out, was thinking of trying some.  ;)

So far I've had the Ernie Ball Cobalts on my Squier Telecaster for a few days and I'm liking them. The sounds I'm getting through my apps (AmpliTube, AmpKit, BIAS, JamUp Pro etc) on iOS have never been clearer. I look forward to playing through the amp on the weekend. Then I'll know if there's a real difference :)
scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com