Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,191
  • Total Topics: 1,647
  • Online today: 97
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 100
  • Total: 100
Guitar Center

Vintage Gibson Les Paul . . hmm

Started by Hinfrance, January 01, 2014, 12:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

Well Christmas is over, and our visitors for the holiday season have returned to the UK.

One of the friends who was stating with us brought his vintage Les Paul with him, and I got to play it a little. It was, of course, a beautiful thing, with a very low action and a lovely tone. It sounded wonderful through my Roland Cube 60 - but then everything does.

And, as it goes, far too good for the likes of me. Seriously, I could never do it justice. It reinforced my view that for most things in life the very best quality is often wasted on the needs and abilities of the average user (ie me). As it happens I have a guitar that is close to the top of Epiphone's range, my Prophesy GX. I like to play it, and it is certainly as good a guitar as I will ever foreseeably need. It's the same with my cars; the Mondeo is a good a family car as I want or need. A BMW 5 series is better, but not worth the premium when speed limits are so low, fuel so expensive, and the roads so crowded. My 'toy' car, a 13 year old Corvette, is no Ferrari (it starts in the mornings for a kick off  ;) ) but it's fast enough to be better than I am.

So while I have always lusted after a Gibson Les Paul, I now know that I am not really missing that much.

Happy New Year one and all  :tup:

Scarebear

I'm a quantity guy because my quality will never be worthy of a quality guitar (a bit like what you're describing). I'd much rather 10 good guitars than one exceptional guitar. Having said that, I know my family believes my quantity has hit its limit ;)
scarebear.rocks - terrible guitar playing verbalised as terrible writing.

Hinfrance

Quote from: Scarebear on January 01, 2014, 12:54:04 PM
I'm a quantity guy because my quality will never be worthy of a quality guitar (a bit like what you're describing). I'd much rather 10 good guitars than one exceptional guitar. Having said that, I know my family believes my quantity has hit its limit ;)

I think my quantity has just about hit the brakes too. I already have four electrics, one dating back to when I played the occasional bar chord on stage when not using the bass, a Lidl western acoustic which my aforementioned friend with the Les Paul spent half of the Christmas break playing because he loves the tone, and 3 basses - at least I will have when my latest purchase gets replaced. I might upgrade my Mustang Amp at some point, but that's about it realistically.

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com