Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,173
  • Total Topics: 1,635
  • Online today: 303
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 80
  • Total: 81
  • Mick
Guitar Center

Yamaha THR

Started by Mick, September 21, 2013, 02:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

I really think that every guitarist should have a Yamaha THR 10, THR 10C, or THR 10X.  When money permits I'll have one myself.  What impressive little practise amps these are.

Every guitarist should have one of these imo. Yamaha THR10 Modeling Guitar Amp - Standard.

Or if you want to get a bit bluesy one of these,  Yamaha THR10C Desktop Amp - Classic.

Not forgetting you metal heads, get one of these,  Yamaha THR10X Desktop Guitar Amp - Hi Gain.

Anyone on here got one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4OQ0w_q6AU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE6V3QqGppA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV6Bfb_ZtNM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzKOzppQi6k
Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Connor Baxter

Tried one in store with my Tele, sounded really soft and atmospheric, loved the sound, but as you said before. lack of money made me dismiss from the amp room! ;D

Mick

Hi Connor 

Yeah, they're not cheap, but they are a serious piece of kit.  The advantage of getting the sounds of your (pushed loud) stage amp at living room volume is amazing imo.  Plus I have to say it also looks like a excellent USB guitar interface when coupled to a PC with the supplied Cubase LE, this alone is attractive to me.  ;)

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Connor Baxter

haha yes I totally agree. the sound from those amps at low volumes are amazing, they don't seem to lack the oomph like other amps, they just sound natural at any volume. and the USB features look very useful too! Looks like your going to have to break the budget and get one to review on the site for us lot then!  ;)

Mick

Quote from: Connor Baxter on September 22, 2013, 09:41:15 AM

Looks like your going to have to break the budget and get one to review on the site for us lot then!  ;)

Well they could always send me one to do a review on. :D  8)  Failing that I'll have to wait until funds are available.  :'(

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Hinfrance

Certainly looks interesting Mick.

I have Cubase Elements 7, which is like LE but with VST instruments and a few other bells and whistles, including the VST guitar amp rack which is rather good. I am struggling with it because of the way it handles, or rather doesn't handle, ASIO in/outs in combination with the PC sound card. Apparently this is not a uniquely Steinberg problem as I have a friend who has the mega bucks version of Ableton and he can't get that to work properly (ie how he wants it to) either. Obviously this isn't a problem with the THR running as the in/out for the software, but you may find it tricky to edit projects without the THR plugged in.

I had Sequel LE supplied with the Zoom G3X and that worked perfectly OK when the only ASIO driver available was the Zoom one. Now that I have a USB mixer with its own ASIO driver all hell has broken loose. Suffice it to say that for all intents and purposes the Zoom ASIO can no longer be used. This is a complete pain because the digital out from the Zoom was astoundingly good. I do use MIDI keyboards as well which doesn't help with this.

The other thing you need to bear in mind about Cubase LE is that like Elements it does not have the beat designer. This was a big surprise to me in Elements because Sequel does have this feature and it is a lower specified product in every way, except for that. To get beat designer in Cubase you have to move up the product range to the â,¬200 plus version.

The Yamaha is an amazing bit of (expensive) kit, but I'm afraid it is the headphones for me - even low volumes in the house would raise issues with SWMBO. ;)

Hinfrance

I am pleased top report that I have now sorted out getting sounds in and out of Cubase.

The answer was to completely ignore the computer's sound card and use the Behringer outs to run a separate amplifier and speaker system. I had to go into the basement and dig out my old Yamaha reference power amp which has been in a box unused for more than 15 years, blow the cobwebs off of it and dig my JBL Control monitors out of the attic. All hail to the build quality of this stuff, it all worked first time, albeit with that slightly pungent smell that electronics have when they have been shut off for so long.

So with the THR you would use that as the playback sound system from Cubase and the world's your oyster as they say :tup:

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com