Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,172
  • Total Topics: 1,635
  • Online today: 132
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 111
  • Total: 111
samash.com

Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul Custom Plus.

Started by Mick, July 22, 2013, 09:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul Custom Plus. What's the difference between the EX and the GX versions. Anyone know?
Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

stevechet

GX has Gibson Dirty Fingers in EX has EMG 85 61s,personally I'd go for the GX,I love the tone from the DFs

Mick

Thanks, I didn't know that, so basically that's the only difference?  Wiring, pots etc are the same?

Thanks for the heads up.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Hinfrance

Mick, the wiring is not the same. The EMGs are active, the Gibsons are passive. The GX has coil tapping, which the EX does not. I chose the GX because of the wider variety of sounds and I liked the colour . .

I have the GX in Black Cherry and it sounds jolly good IMHO. Mind you at my current level of ability the guitar is far better than I deserve. I changed the strings to 0.10s.

I am sure you must have seen THIS ;)

Mick

Cheers H.  That clears that up for me.  :tup:

I hadn't seen that youtube vid either, some good info there. so thanks for that too.  I'll embed it in your post.  ;)

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

SJG

That is a sweet looking guitar in that video! :)
Shawn Gossman
Occasional Picker

Hinfrance

Now here's a thing.

The lead guitar player from the pub band I was bass player in for nigh on 25 years is here on a visit (he is one of my best mates, although what with now living in different countries we don't meet up that often these days).

He has played the Prophesy, which he thought was a lovely guitar (he has a Les Paul and some fancy Jackson), so that was praise indeed. He liked the depth from the Gibson pickups and the build quality and playability in general.

But . . he then tried my â,¬145 Harley Benton 450 Plus. That he loved - said it sounded as good as his real Les Paul, played and looked good too. And to be honest it does have a much thicker sound than the Prophesy, but maybe it is a little bit down to strings? Or maybe I should buy some Wilkinson pickups for the Prophesy  :legit:

He didn't like the Affinity Strat at all - ideal for country music maybe, but no good for heavy rock or metal. Which is fair comment, it does have a very bright sound.

Hinfrance

Well, our guitar player has gone home now, and it's back to normal here.

I do like the Harley Benton, I do, but to my mind it's just not in the same league as the Prophesy. So I'd say buy the Prophesy if you feel inclined, you'll not regret it.

Mick

The more I read the reviews about gear, the more confused I get.  I'm just going to have to try some of this stuff out, I'm sure that's the only way I'll know.  lol..   The Prophecy is on my wish list though.  ;)

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Hinfrance

Quote from: Mick on August 18, 2013, 08:41:18 AM
The Prophecy is on my wish list though.  ;)

And so it should be. Said lead guitarist's ex came to stay last week and when she saw it she said 'that's just beautiful'. And it is.  :)

Mick

Quote from: Hinfrance on August 18, 2013, 11:28:29 AM
Quote from: Mick on August 18, 2013, 08:41:18 AM
The Prophecy is on my wish list though.  ;)

And so it should be. Said lead guitarist's ex came to stay last week and when she saw it she said 'that's just beautiful'. And it is.  :)

Did you get the Black Cherry, or the Heritage Cherry Sunburst ?  And fancy doing another review?  :D

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Hinfrance

Black Cherry :tup:

I'm not really sure I'm worthy to do a review on something so lovely . .

But I did do a product evaluation on Thomann's site.

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com