Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,191
  • Total Topics: 1,647
  • Online today: 178
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 153
  • Total: 153
Gear4Music

RC Davis Amps

Started by shawnb, March 24, 2023, 04:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnb

RC Davis is a small amp builder & shop in San Francisco.

Many years ago, the owner repaired vintage amps.  Many customers didn't want their vintage amps on the road due to jostling about & potential damage.  So...  RC Davis decided to make deliberately over-engineered, very sturdy, amps with vintage (i.e., simple, hand-built) architecture & sound for guitarists on the road.  To get the sound of the vintage amp, but not worry about damage.  And that's how the product line was born.

I have a 4x8 50W RC Davis, and it was louder than a friend's 100W Mesa Boogie Mark II, and MUCH MUCH louder than a 100W Marshall in our studio.  (The Mesa Boogie guy later upgraded to a Mark V and, uh... It ain't louder than THAT...)

I play a lot of Roland COSM gear, with amp modeling, and wanted as flat a response as I could get, so RC Davis actually handed me a box of rectifiers & tubes & told me to experiment until I found a set that worked.  So I did...

Normal best practice with amp modeling, is to use a FRFR amp, and NOT a guitar amp, to avoid doubling of overdrive & coloring.  I have one of those, too... 

But when jamming in the studio with friends, with the right config, my tweaked RC Davis adds punch you I don't get with FRFR.  IMO anyway...  I am trying for the best of both worlds.

https://www.rcdavisamps.com/

Some pix:
MyAmps_14889-crop.jpgMyAmps_14880.jpgMyAmps_14889.jpg   
Abandon concern for hitting the right note.
Then, hit the right note. - Fripp

Mick

Thanks for posting this Shawn, very interesting. I bet they also have a bit of weight to them.

I'll add that link to my links page at some point.  ;)

I have an old SWR Workingmans 10 bass combo kicking around here, that weighs an absolute ton, not something I like to move about too often.

By the way, you're welcome to add a link to your site in your signature.
Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com