Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,172
  • Total Topics: 1,635
  • Online today: 132
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 99
  • Total: 99
samash.com

Turn an old radio into a Guitar Amp

Started by Mick, December 14, 2019, 07:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

Turn an old radio into a Guitar Amplifier https://www.radio-guitar-amps.com/

I love this kind of stuff,  it reminds me of when I was a kid and used to make similar things using old cassette players, (think I mentioned this somewhere).  In fact there's also a modified cassette player amp in the article linked above.

You can get some really nice sounds out of some of these old amplifiers, and depending where you hook the input up to you get varying levels of drive as well.  Obviously using a battery powered radio etc will give you portability so you can take it around with you.  And unless you know what you're doing you shouldn't be delving inside something powered by the mains. 

You can also make guitar amps out of old computer speakers, as long as it has a amp built in.  Anyway, check out the link above, I'm sure you'll be impressed with the sound quality coming out of those old radios. 

Anyone else made one of these? 
Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Nick F

I turned the amplifier portion of an old Dansette record player into an amp. But try as I may, I couldn't get the gain up enough for guitar. Though it always worked great with microphones. If I knew then what I know now, that it was just one resistor to ground change, I'd have been sorted

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com