Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,172
  • Total Topics: 1,635
  • Online today: 147
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 146
  • Total: 146
Guitar Center

The end for Cakewalk / Sonar

Started by Mick, December 03, 2017, 12:30:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

Sad to say, development of Cakewalk / Sonar has come to a end. 

See the announcement here,  http://www.cakewalk.com/announcement

GIBSON BRANDS ANNOUNCEMENT REGARDING CAKEWALK, INC http://www.cakewalk.com/Gibson-Announcement
Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Hinfrance

To be honest it would have needed a lot of work to get it up to scratch. I tried it recently and it didn't understand most of my VST3 instruments, didn't like the Akai MPC at all, and was just very difficult to route properly. Some of the built in instruments were very good though, so their might be someone interested in taking it on. They'd have to be brave though, there is a lot of very good competition at the semi-pro end of the market from Presonus (Studio One), Yamaha (Steinberg Cubase) and Cockos (Reaper) to name but three.

Joom

I haven't used Cakewalk in years, as Hinfrance mentioned there are others I like better.  Still, sad to see it go...
A computer once beat me at chess.  As it turns out, though, it was no match for me at kick boxing...

Mick

Looks like it's making a return. Only this time it's free, though not sure what the catch is, there must be one.  ;)

https://www.gearnews.com/bandlab-rebrands-sonar-cakewalk-sets-free-windows/

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Hinfrance

Just downloading it now for the hell of it.

Catches are Windows doesn't like the file source for the downloader - but I did it anyway, and when you get to download it you are immediately taken to a cookie jar page - ignore it if you like - if I like the revised version I will make a donation, if I don't I'll just uninstall it and forget about it. The other thing is that you have to sign up to Bandlab - a music sharing service - again, no skin off one's nose to do so, you don't have to use it.

I'll let you now how it goes.

Mick

Howard, I installed it this morning, haven't had time to play with it yet, looks pretty feature packed, demo projects etc.

I also got a warning when launching the installer for the Bandlab assistant, but that's a known problem which can be ignored apparently, so I did..  Also just disabled the Bandlab assistant launch on startup option, I don't want this thing launching when I start my PC, and would rather be in control of this stuff.  ;)

Anyway, look forward to your opinion on this one, hope it works out better than the last version you tried.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Hinfrance

My bad Mick, forgot to mention about turning off the autostart feature.

I have noticed that there are a few things missing from the suite that was with the trial of the Sonar package that I tried a while back - but it still looks very well specified. Will play some more when the school holidays are over and I have a bit more time to myself.

Mick

Quote from: Hinfrance on April 12, 2018, 08:47:30 AM

I have noticed that there are a few things missing from the suite that was with the trial of the Sonar package that I tried a while back - but it still looks very well specified. Will play some more when the school holidays are over and I have a bit more time to myself.

Strange that.  It's supposed to be a free version of their platinum, which I understood to be their flagship version.  Slightly cut down I guess.  Still a excellent freebie though, and well worth exploring.   I'm still getting my head around the GUI, it takes a while to sink in at my age.  lol.. 

This reminds me, I should post a new topic.  Cakewalk is back.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Hinfrance

The bits that are missing are 3rd party instruments (the main one being Addictive Drums) and a few plugins - but it is the platinum version, just can't include other people's stuff without licences.

Mick

Quote from: Hinfrance on April 15, 2018, 03:25:59 PM
The bits that are missing are 3rd party instruments (the main one being Addictive Drums) and a few plugins - but it is the platinum version, just can't include other people's stuff without licences.

Think there's a drum kit included if that's any help, SI-Drum Kit 1.  I was messing about with it the other day.  Also a bass guitar to build tracks with.  Can't remember how I got to them though.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Hinfrance

There is also Session Drummer included and, of course, MT Power also works with it. I already had Addicitive Drums 2 and Groove Agent 4, so I've got loads of drum options.

You can find the instruments by right clicking anywhere empty in the track bar and choosing 'insert instrument' then just navigate to the one you want. I am having some conceptual difficulty with the way it handles MIDI tracks. It seems to be necessary to create additional busses to get anything out. But if you choose 'insert instrument' the VST instrument output is routed to the main buss. I do like the SI Drum VST though; sounds OK and very easy to use, even has a step sequencer built in.

I watched the tutorial on drum maps 'made easy' - what a nightmare! In Cubase with Groove Agent you just click the 'make drum map' button :)

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com