Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,172
  • Total Topics: 1,635
  • Online today: 147
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 148
  • Total: 148
samash.com

Multi Effects units, or seperate Pedals?

Started by Mick, October 01, 2016, 07:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

Seen several posts around the web stating that separate pedals / stomp boxes are the way to go, instead of using a all in one Multi Effects unit.  The multi units are pretty advanced these days, plus a lot more people are using digital, or solid state modeling amps than ever before.

What's your opinion on this. 
Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Hinfrance

Quick thoughts.

For bass I have always used multi effects, often two of them together, Boss BE5B and Digitech BP200 (yeah, I haven't bought a new one for years, no need).

For guitar I think that individual pedals give you more flexibility and probably better tone. But . . I only use a Zoom multi unit and the effects built in to the Mustang. I no longer gig, and I am a rubbish guitar player, so this arrangement suits me just fine :)

Skhilled

I'm out of the loop on pedals. The best one for me many years ago was the Mu-Tron Phasor. The one for the bass had an even more awesome sound!

http://mu-fx.com/museum/mu-tron-phasor/

Mick

As this is just a hobby for me and only play at home, the two multi effects that I have are a Zoom G5 and a Boss ME25, although the G5 seems to do all I need and sounds great to me.  Like you Howard, a couple of my amps have the built in effects so I quite often just go with them instead of using pedals.

Also like the fact that all but one of the amps I own and both the pedals double up as a audio interface, which is handy.  ;)

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

DansGuitarMusic

I used to only use multi effect when I first started playing. Digitech RP5 was the first one then the RP6 and RP2000. Zoom would be my next choice as the G2 is nice and small to move around. Although these days I am just using my Digitech Hot Rod distortion pedal on it's own mostly. I think just having one or 2 pedals can clean up your tone and still make playing lots of fun.

Hinfrance

There is one pedal I have that knocks the spots off of the Zoom and Fender emulations, the Cry Baby.  ;D

Anyway, back to the 'music room' to muck about a bit more with the effects units I've got . .

Mick

Quote from: Hinfrance on October 05, 2016, 07:55:06 AM
There is one pedal I have that knocks the spots off of the Zoom and Fender emulations, the Cry Baby.  ;D

Anyway, back to the 'music room' to muck about a bit more with the effects units I've got . .

Actually Howard, I did used to have a original Cry Baby pedal, but I sold it along with all my gear several years ago.  Since starting up again I haven't got around to replacing it.  Might have to do that when funds permit.

I noticed they do them in various flavours nowadays as well.

Dunlop GCB95 The Original Cry Baby® Wah Wah

Dunlop 535Q Cry Baby® Multi-Wah, Black

Dunlop CBM95 Cry Baby Mini Wah

And they do them in red too.  ;)

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Hinfrance

Mine's a GCB 95 in good old fashioned black :)

Mick

Quote from: Hinfrance on October 09, 2016, 12:14:02 PM
Mine's a GCB 95 in good old fashioned black :)

I believe that was what I had, but I bought it second hand at the time.  Pretty sure it was that model.  If I remember it had a slightly noisy pot inside which I fixed with a couple of sprays with can of contact cleaner.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com