Donner Music UK
Members
  • Total Members: 328
  • Latest: Millrat
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,173
  • Total Topics: 1,635
  • Online today: 293
  • Online ever: 836 (January 21, 2020, 09:59:16 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 275
  • Total: 275
samash.com

Rocksmith

Started by Mick, November 13, 2016, 12:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

My son had the original version of Rocksmith sitting upstairs doing nothing, so I decided to give it a go.  Now I find this ridiculously difficult to master.  Anyone know if the latest version, Rocksmith 2014 Edition Remastered is easier to get along with, and has it improved much?

Also, anyone actually learned to play the guitar using these games?
Thank You, "[you]" For Reading This Post.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Hinfrance

Hi Mick,

I have got the 2014 version of Rocksmith and I cannot get on with it. The scrolling note guide is thoroughly confusing, and if memory serves (I haven't even run it for ages) the virtual fretboard is the wrong way up. Also the latency from the ASIO driver is terrible - my Saffire has a round trip time of around 12 milliseconds on 512 samples, Rocksmith sounds like it is around 40-50 milliseconds. Dreadful.

Mick

Howard, can't say I've tried the PC version, I'm using my son's old Xbox 360.  Latency doesn't seem to be a problem on this setup.  I haven't even touched the latency adjustment settings in the game itself.

Are you using the official Real Tone cable or one of your interface's?   I did find the whole layout pretty confusing at first, but I'm slowly getting used to it. 

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Hinfrance

I've been using the cable that came with it. I don't actually know if it is possible to use a firewire or USB interface - I'll look into that.

Mick

Quote from: Hinfrance on November 25, 2016, 09:47:28 AM
I've been using the cable that came with it. I don't actually know if it is possible to use a firewire or USB interface - I'll look into that.

To be honest H, I'm not sure if you can use a interface either, I was kinda just thinking aloud.  :D Probably not possible I'll bet.  I do tend to use that cable when running through Amplitube, just for convenience more than anything.  Seems to work well for that.

As for Rocksmith,, I might see if I can get hold of a cheap copy of 2014 for the Xbox 360 and try it out, it must be an improvement to the original version.  We'll see.  ;)

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Mick

Having a quick look around the web, I stumbled upon a few posts regarding latency, this one in particular might help. https://wardiesworld.wordpress.com/2013/04/14/reducing-latency-in-rocksmith-pc/

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Mick

Just got hold of Rocksmith 2014 for the Xbox 360.  Had a quick go, and I'm liking it so far. 

As for the lag, there's some noticeable delay there, which I can get rid of by splitting my audio and video.  Apparently it's not a good idea to hook up just using HDMI because audio and video are processed at different speeds.  I will have to send my audio through separate speakers or monitors.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Mick

Getting used to the lag the more I play it.  Need to get hold of some connectors, and then I'll direct the audio through my Yamaha THR 10.

Guitarist Guild
Camera Craniums
TGMF

Guitarist Guild is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to guitaristguild.com